Ruger Blackhawk Convertable

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger Blackhawk Convertable

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:21 am

What is it about folks who like shooting guns? They are never satisfied until they get the next one. With that in mind, I want to know your thoughts on my next probable purchase: "New Model Blackhawk Convertable" BN-445XL, Model #10463, .45 Colt/.45 Auto, barrel=5.50" . What do you think of it? I am a target shooter (not very good, sigh), and want to shoot 45acp from a revolver.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... odels.html
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Ruger Blackhawk Convertable

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 am

Hakaman wrote:What is it about folks who like shooting guns? They are never satisfied until they get the next one. With that in mind, I want to know your thoughts on my next probable purchase: "New Model Blackhawk Convertable" BN-445XL, Model #10463, .45 Colt/.45 Auto, barrel=5.50" . What do you think of it? I am a target shooter (not very good, sigh), and want to shoot 45acp from a revolver.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... odels.html
Haka
The Greener has one and he likes it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Ruger Blackhawk Convertable

Post by Downeaster » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I have one. I LIKE it. You will too.

Only complaint I have is that there are not Pachmayr/Hogue type rubber grips that will fit it, and that's my preferred handle for all my handguns.

.45 Colt is a very versatile round, from powder puff to DANG! and everything in between, and the Ruger will handle them all.

If ALL you're looking for is a .45ACP revolver, a used S&W 25 would be a good choice as well.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:10 pm

thanks guys,
I have considered the model 25, but I want to try the SA. It also has the choice of 45LC as well. I have a S&W 686 in 38/357 now, and like it. Either gun is great, but hedging to the Ruger. Have to look for new grip options though, and see what's out there.
Hey DE, what about these?
http://www.wholesalehunter.net/outdoor_ ... Grips.html
h
Last edited by Hakaman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Hakaman wrote:thanks guys,
I have considered the model 25, but I want to try the SA. It also has the choice of 45LC as well. I have a S&W 686 in 38/357 now, and like it. Either gun is great, but hedging to the Ruger. Have to look for new grip options though, and see what's out there.
Hey DE, what about these?
http://www.wholesalehunter.net/outdoor_ ... Grips.html
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=88782
http://www.nextag.com/ruger-blackhawk-grips/search-html
h
I haven't checked in about a year, but last I knew the Convertible used a different grip frame than the Vaquero. I think it's called the "XR3" frame or something like that. The combination of that and that infernal lock is what makes grips that'll fit most Rugers NOT fit the Blackhawk convertible.

When I was looking for grips, I talked to reps at both Hogue and Pachmayr and was told there were no plans to make grips that would fit.

If you find out otherwise, I'd sure like to know.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:43 pm

Well, Downeaster, I have to agree with your input here. :( After further investigation I have found (like you mentioned) that Pachmayr/Hogue do not make grips for this gun. Because of the "internal locking system" on the "New-Model" versions, the grip frame is different then the previous version. Hogue/Pachmayr have yet to accommodate the Ruger "New-Model version. As a result, I cancelled my order for this gun. I had planned on extensive target shooting with the Ruger, and Soft grips would be mandatory.
bummed,
Haka

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Hakaman wrote:Well, Downeaster, I have to agree with your input here. :( After further investigation I have found (like you mentioned) that Pachmayr/Hogue do not make grips for this gun. Because of the "internal locking system" on the "New-Model" versions, the grip frame is different then the previous version. Hogue/Pachmayr have yet to accommodate the Ruger "New-Model version. As a result, I cancelled my order for this gun. I had planned on extensive target shooting with the Ruger, and Soft grips would be mandatory.
bummed,
Haka
What I've done is use a pair of padded shooting gloves for the high end loads. The gun is quite comfortable in bare hands with the factory grips for target loads, and the gloves let me shoot the hot ones pretty comfortably too. A 50 round box of hotties is plenty for an old fart like me anyway.

With .45 ACP, I could shoot all day.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 pm

I felt so lucky in buying my Single-Six in February, that Ruger has not, so far, put the infernal lock on the stainless SA revolvers, just blued models.

These locks are as stupid as the LCI on Mark IIIs. What is the point of the lock, especially if it's hidden under the grips? I understand the shorter mainspring alters the feel of the action, and possibly causes some FTFs.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 am

My Blackhawk .45 convertible has been a great shooter in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. I see little, if any, drop off in accuracy going from colt to ACP loads. The only thing I didn't like about the revolver were the hard rubber grips Ruger has been using lately. I much prefer the rosewood grips. I swapped grips with the single six. Supposedly, the grips for lock and no lock models are different. I haven't found any difference in function.

I'm not sure about the rationale of putting the internal lock under the grips. I like the fact that they aren't visible, but having to go through the effort of removing the grips probably negates most folks using them. The shorter spring hasn't affected the way the revolver fires, so I have a lock I don't intend to use and can't see.

Since I reload, mine sees mostly .45 Colt, 250 gr bullets.

The .45 convertible is a much better idea than the .357/9mm convertible. Accuracy falls off significantly pushing the 9mm down the .358" dia barrel.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Greener, as I understand my 50th Anny Blackhawk in .38..357 also has a lock under the grip, but I have never seen it. Just another giimmik to make the gun heters feel better. Do you know what grips may fit my gun, them rubber ones have no class.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:15 pm

greener wrote:The .45 convertible is a much better idea than the .357/9mm convertible. Accuracy falls off significantly pushing the 9mm down the .358" dia barrel.
9mm bullets are marginally smaller than 38/357 but its enough to muck up the accuracy....if you can load your own 9mm with .357 bullets accuracy should improve, but if you r doing that you might as well put those 357 bullets in a 38 special or 357mag ...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote:The .45 convertible is a much better idea than the .357/9mm convertible. Accuracy falls off significantly pushing the 9mm down the .358" dia barrel.
9mm bullets are marginally smaller than 38/357 but its enough to muck up the accuracy....if you can load your own 9mm with .357 bullets accuracy should improve, but if you r doing that you might as well put those 357 bullets in a 38 special or 357mag ...
Unless you have a boatload of 9mm brass to use up, but how do you lose brass when shooting a single action. My .38/.357 has never seen a
357 load and probably never will, just shoot some nice soft shooting 148 grain wad cutters.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:33 pm

:D BAOM that is a great idea....my gp rarely sees 357's and mostly .38 spec 158gr swc...no need to use the big boomers for paper

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 pm

bgreenea3 wrote::D BAOM that is a great idea....my gp rarely sees 357's and mostly .38 spec 158gr swc...no need to use the big boomers for paper
Nope, holes is holes and they wil not change size unless you go to a bigger gun. Got a gret deal on those full wadcutters and they shoot great in the revolver with 3.5 grains of
green Dot, my favorite power. Back in my sporting clays shooting days, I used many pounds of that stuff.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I went through the exercise of loading .358" dia (.38 special) bullets in 9mm casings. They shot better than my standard 9mm lead loads, but it wasn't hardly worth the effort since I reload .38 special.

Every now and then I shoot .357 magnums in my .357's, but not very often. I"m darned pleased with the accuracy I'm getting with the .38 special loads in my .357's.

I've been quite pleased with .45 colt shooting 250gr lfp with 6.9gr universal. I think it shoots better than the .38 special loads.