Beretta M9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Beretta M9

Post by greener » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:29 am

Just read this piece from the American Rifleman on the 25th anniversary of the M9 as the main military service pistol. http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 18&id=2000

I recall bits and pieces of the trials and some of the conversation about them at the time. I didn't recall that DOD did its darndest to get some other, American, manufacturer. This is an interesting read on the trial process. I recall reading stuff by COL Cooper who was vehemently opposed to going away from .45 cal.

Since the Reserves were on the tail end of the new equipment issue, I didn't see an M9 until the 90's. We had new M9's and our older than dirt 1911's and more than enough ammo for qualification on either or both pistols. I couldn't hit squat with the M9 and the 1911 was a comparative tack driver. That afternoon soured me on the M9 and 9mm in general. I have a couple of 9mm pistols, but they are not my favorites by far. I've fired a couple of Beretta 92's. Very decent and accurate shooters. Still have problems getting over my first impressions.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Beretta M9

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:29 am

greener wrote: I couldn't hit squat with the M9 and the 1911 was a comparative tack driver. That afternoon souredStill have problems getting over my first impressions.
That's because the 1911 and .45ACP was a better idea and still is, although my grandson an the Navy loves the M9.
Stay away from gun shows over the weekend if possible.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:12 am

If I recall the Sig was in the running (and front runner), but at the time was not mfg in the US.

Far as stopping power the 1911 45 wins, but due to modern ammo for the 9mm it does not give up much as it use to.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 am

I own both types of guns. Of course I am not the most experienced shooter in the world, but I do have some with these two "platforms". My Taurus PT1911, which I purchased used, and my Beretta M9 which I purchased new. My interpretation......there isn't any comparison in the comfort, and shooting "conduciveness" of the two. The 1911 wins hands down, IMO. The beretta seems to be built as well as any hg I know, and the quality is top notch. It is reliable when I pull the trigger, as I cannot remember it having a failure to ____? ever! These qualities, although, can be also said for the 1911. Again, IMO, the 1911 wins out as the better choice, period.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 am

bearandoldman wrote: That's because the 1911 and .45ACP was a better idea and still is, although my grandson an the Navy loves the M9.
Probably has something to do with what he started with and shoots more. He just needs some extended range time with the 1911.

No gun show until next weekend. Maw wants to go to a Civil War relic show. She says they won't have guns. I'm allowed to go with her.

I"m staying away from gun selling places since I just go back from Wally World. They had lots of Fed Value pack .22, limit six. They have six fewer boxes.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:16 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: That's because the 1911 and .45ACP was a better idea and still is, although my grandson an the Navy loves the M9.
Probably has something to do with what he started with and shoots more. He just needs some extended range time with the 1911.

No gun show until next weekend. Maw wants to go to a Civil War relic show. She says they won't have guns. I'm allowed to go with her.

I"m staying away from gun selling places since I just go back from Wally World. They had lots of Fed Value pack .22, limit six. They have six fewer boxes.
Why does Maw want to go to a Civil War Relic show, she's married to one, eh??? 8)

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:36 pm

She wanted to compare me to the other relics. Couldn't get her interested in the $18,800 revolver or any of the $5,000 muskets.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:00 pm

greener wrote:She wanted to compare me to the other relics. Couldn't get her interested in the $18,800 revolver or any of the $5,000 muskets.
Well. now that she has seen the relics avail ale does sh thin ther is a market for your talents? O r is she just willing to get rid of you for the least cost to her? Bought a K4 on Ebay yesterday for Remona. Moses or Henry. good price too.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Yep. She let me cut the grass. She was out looking for Christmas Presents for young greener. Hope he likes the rusty cannonball.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:20 am

bearandoldman wrote:That's because the 1911 and .45ACP was a better idea and still is, although my grandson an the Navy loves the M9.
Staying away from gun shows hasn't helped. I hit the local Mom & Pop and walked out with a Sig-Sauer P226 which is bad enough, but he also had a Ruger M77 in .22-250 with a bull barrel, 9x24 scope and a bipod hanging on the wall.

And the rotten so-and-so made a point of saying "I do layaway..."

I've lusted after a .22-250 since I was a teenager shooting my Dad's Remington 700VS. :shock:
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 am

Downeaster wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:That's because the 1911 and .45ACP was a better idea and still is, although my grandson an the Navy loves the M9.
Staying away from gun shows hasn't helped. I hit the local Mom & Pop and walked out with a Sig-Sauer P226 which is bad enough, but he also had a Ruger M77 in .22-250 with a bull barrel, 9x24 scope and a bipod hanging on the wall.

And the rotten so-and-so made a point of saying "I do layaway..."

I've lusted after a .22-250 since I was a teenager shooting my Dad's Remington 700VS. :shock:
These folks know your weakness. You go in for equipment and supplies and they force you to buy something else.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am

Mom and Pop's are trying to stay in business, if they don't adapt to their customers they'll be out of work.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 am

Never go to gun show, they turned me off years ago, but, my friends shop is only a few miles away and not far off the route to the range. We have known each other for over 50 years and he has had his own shop for 46 years. His oldest son who is his partner went to school with one of my daughters. Stop ther too often and look to much and all his help has been there for a wile and we know each other too well. As a result I do buy lots of toys.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Gun shows offer a wider selection to browse. The main attraction lately has been the reloading guys, although I've found a few things I didn't know I could do without at the gun shows.

Besides the Richmond gun shows make national news. It seems we have some of the most finely crafted gunshow loopholes around. Or, so I've heard. By the time I get there they tell me they are all sold out. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

greener wrote:Gun shows offer a wider selection to browse. The main attraction lately has been the reloading guys, although I've found a few things I didn't know I could do without at the gun shows.

Besides the Richmond gun shows make national news. It seems we have some of the most finely crafted gunshow loopholes around. Or, so I've heard. By the time I get there they tell me they are all sold out. :lol:
You have been to my gun shop, not bad selection for a small shop and a nice group of guys to boot.