CC holsters???

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

CC holsters???

Post by Jack D » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:03 pm

I just finished step one (handling and safety class) to get my Oregon CHL (concealed handgun license) and have been looking at the choices of holsters available to fit my S&W 36 Chiefs Special ("J" frame). I ordered a Blackhawk Serpa level 2, but am not sure I'll like it (it hasn't arrived yet). I have concerns about damage to the finish of the 36 in either the polymer or leather (acids). I like cross draw, but most leather will not adjust for the cross draw angles, which is why the Serpa was ordered. I also have a Crimson Trace grip coming so the holster choice will have to take that into consideration. Paddle? Belt? Decisions, decisions.

Any suggestions?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Jack D

I have no experience with that particular holster, but I have been CC for about 15 years now. In my own experience, I have changed holsters over the years based on comfort and gun retention more than any other reason. If you carry a gun on a regular bases, you will discover how uncomfortable they can be. BTW, I tried shoulder holsters (didn't work for me), hip carry (not bad) and appendix carry (works great for me and the weapon I have choosen).

I have been told to avoid leather holsters that are chrome tanned instead of vegatable tanned, to avoid rust, and I do, however that being said, if you sweat much, you leather may absorb it and cause your firearm to rust. In my own case, I make sure to clean my gun frequently, light oil it constantly, and just plain keep a close eye on it. I live in Florida where sweat is a way of life.

In my opinion, I think you should try the holster and see how you like it. If you don't care for it, put it up for sale and try another one. Sooner or later you will find what works for you. Keep in mind, that the apparel you wear may have a big impact on your holster. I frequently carry my gun covered with just a T-shirt and no one, not even my wife who knows I'm armed, has ever noticed. Well, at least no one has ever mentioned it.

Good luck with the CC and be safe.
y

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been playing around with different positions by tucking the piece in my pants/belt and the appendix position or the opposite side of that (cross draw forward of the hip) would be my preferred position. Cross draw at about 45° angle feels about right and would be my first choice (I think). Appendix would be 2nd. I'm thinking paddle for ease of placing and removal.

Good suggestion about trying and selliing if it doesn't work out.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Tried a few paddle holsters and never really cared for them, tried different positions also. Finally liked a leather in the hip pocket holster and have carried that way for years. I carry an SA Micro Compqct in a leather holster made by a friend on a local S/D instructor that was originally intended for an S&W J frame, but it works perfect fot the Micro 1911 for me. Don't worry about the guns finich as mine will win no beauty prizes and if I ever have to use it I am sure I will loose style points for shoooting an BG with an ugly gun.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Any particular reason for not liking the paddle? Uncomfortable? Just a personal thing? My hip pocket is always occupied with a wallet.....no money, just wallet.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Jack D wrote:Any particular reason for not liking the paddle? Uncomfortable? Just a personal thing? My hip pocket is always occupied with a wallet.....no money, just wallet.
Uncomfortable for me, also access to right hand front pocket poor. Carry wallet in week's side hip pocket money in Strong side front pocket, keys in strong side front pocket and artillery in strong side hip pocket. Have used the same pockets for as long as I can remember and it works for me, others opinions and choice of gun may and will vary.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:09 pm

I've been so pleased by the stuff CrossBreed makes that I pimp them for free.
One of the best sources for hybrid kydex & leather holsters.

You can search for MTAC or KHolster for other IWB designs.

I'm a big fan of belt clips NOT being on top of the gun, it spreads the weight out and prevents "wandering handgun syndrome". I also like IWB, because I generally can't spare a pocket for extra stuff.

Also, if you don't have one, a serious gunbelt will make CC a LOT easier. CrossBreed makes pretty good ones, BeltMan makes superb ones ... there are others out there, but I have those in the closet (and the CB belt spends more time in the closet, of the two)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I have found I like the holster like the MTAC and crossbreed hybrid holster, IWB. This allows you to adjust the cant of the gun. I carry a full size Sig 229, and a good stiff gun belt is required. It also makes you carry at least 1 magazine on the opposite side to balance the load. I make my own which have a upgraded features. I have the Hydex pigskin lined to protect the finish, as well as the leather against my body pigskin lined. This sets up a moisture barrier to protect the leather and gun. Living in Texas it gets hot, and east texas has a higher humidity, but nothing like Florida. I have been ringing wet with sweat and the moister barrier kept the gun leather and dry. The hybrid holster makes it easier to draw and re-holster the gun. A leather IWB holster crushed increasing the force required to draw the gun. Since I have a medical implant that rides over my right kidney I can not carry in the 4:00-5:00 position. I found the 3:00 to be the most all around comfort sitting and standing. It conceals well, I always have my shirt tail out. My neighbors helped me with the concealing. One thing you need to remember is not to bend at the waist to pick something up, bend your knees. At 3:00 it does not show if I bend at the waste but if you shift it back to 3:30-4:00 it will print. I went through about 4 different types of holster till I settled down on my version of the cross breed. My belt clips will allow me to shift as little as a 1/4" and believe me it's a makes a big difference when you find that sweet spot.

I have one customer that sent me his paddle holster for a Sig 229 40cal, for me to modify it for cross draw/carry. I do not recall the brand but it was a name brand std strong side carry that he said he had to wait for 6 mo to get. The mfg punched a extra hole so the cant was adj for cross draw. I ended up make a new paddle that was shallower and wider that the original paddle. This gave it plenty of support and stayed clear of the leg/thigh. This particular holster rode high which is what he liked and the wider paddle was needed to stabilize the gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 am

I like the Don Hume Holsters...I have this one for my XD sub Compact and it is a very comfortable holster.
http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=36
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

mrfcobf

Post by mrfcobf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:35 pm

I have an "Uncle Mike's", and I like it a lot. The best part is that they retail for under $15!!!

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:16 pm

I meant to mention one other thing. I would suggest that once you get your holster and gun positioned where you think you want it, try doing various things that you might have to do during your typical day. It may sound odd, but simple things like using the restroom, can be difficult depending on holster location. Bending over to retrieve an item you've dropped, climbing in and out of a vehicle, etc. You might decide in a hurry to try a different set up.

Hope this helps
Y

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:22 am

Yleefox makes a very good point.
Wearing anything larger than a mousegun will limit you in some way, knowing what that limitation is before venturing out in public can be a very good thing.

Example: With my setup I have to be careful getting into cars or any other activity that brings my right hip near obstacles. I've snagged clips, I've bonked stuff with the pistol's grip, and if the shirt rides up you can discover that you are open carrying today (surprise!).

And if anyone finds a good way to visit a public restroom stall with IWB carry, please do share![/b]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 am

When/of I visit a restroom the first thing I do is remove the gun and set it on top of paper dispenser or the back of the tank before dropping my trousers. Then I don't have to mess with the weight. The thing you don't want is the gun hitting the floor. If your wearing a coat, hang it up on the hook and put the gun in a pocket or you can hang your gun on the coat hook if needed. I have read of several AD from guns hitting the floor. You can legally remove the gun in the privates of the stall. Once I'm done I just reholster the leave.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. Many things to consider. Fortunately, the S&W Chiefs Special is small and that should be a plus. Just playing with different positions by tucking in my belt, the 10 or 2 positions canted at approx. 45° seem most comfortable and natural. A holster may change that. As suggested above, I may be wearing many different holsters until I find the one that works for me.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser