DA/SA .45ACP?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

DA/SA .45ACP?

Post by Downeaster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 am

Having carried a DA/SA Sig 9mm for a few months now, I've started considering getting a .45 with the same features.

Not locked into a Sig, but I'd prefer steel to polymer and full size to compact.

Looked at a Glock a buddy has, wouldn't throw it in the trash but wouldn't be my first choice either.

Looked at the specs on a Sig 220 and am intrigued, but would want to hold one before I plunked down any cash.

Looking at the Springfield XD's on line, they're a possibility.

What I'm looking for here are specific recommendations, experience and comments on various brands and models.

Thanks...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

The sig p220 and p245 are both very nice you might want to take a peek at the ruger 345...

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:27 pm

I've owned and shot a P220 Sig in 45acp for around 20 years now and I can tell you that it is a very accurate pistol straight out of the box and has been 100% reliable with everything I have feed it except for the old Black Talon rounds, which would not feed properly when the slide was slingshot on the first round in the mag. Once the first round was fed into the chamber, the remainder would self-load from firing. I've had a lot of firearms and a lot of them have gone too, but that Sig has remained in my safe. Hope this helps

Y

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 am

Yup, Ylee, it does. I've decided that my first quest will be for a nice used 220. There's one in the local trader mag, but it's about as far from me as you can get and still be in Maine.

I'll be hitting my favorite gun stores this weekend... :P

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Timing is everything...

Checked the local trader rag online, and there was another P220 in it close enough for me to go look at and in my price range.

Made arrangements to go look at it today. It has a little holster wear, but the barrel and internals look nearly virgin. I don't think it's had many rounds put through it.

Feller had put tritium night sights and Hogue grips on it, both of which I'd have done anyway. Original parts were in the hard case, along with an extra mag the the printed material.

We agreed on a price and he threw in a couple of holsters for it. They're right-handed and I'm not, but I can always use them for trading fodder...

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:28 pm

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Hmmmm that FN looks interesting..

f.2

Post by f.2 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 pm

The SIG 220 is a fine choice. For a reliable 220, get an old school carbon steel stamped slide made in Germany / made in W.Germany 220. To make it perfect, send it to Grayguns for their reduced reset comprehensive duty package.