1911 sights

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

azkmd

1911 sights

Post by azkmd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 pm

I just got my Colt govt xse back from the smith, I had Novak night sights put on. They had to mill the slide front and rear as it only had the factory 3 dots. The front sight is loose in the dovetail, I can barely move it with my finger and they installed a very small roll pin down through the top of the sight into the slide.
Is this some sort of proceedure I've never seen before? I didn't pick the gun up from them, my father in law did because he lives closer...
The more I look at it the more it looks like a hack job, but then I keep telling myself it was done by Gunsite... Only great expierences there in the past.????

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 pm

can't help you much, but, the following will give you a good idea of what's required to mount them.

http://www.novaksights.com/installation ... tions.html

It does appear the installation requires a 1/16th pin to be inserted in the front sight.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks, don't know why I didn't look there.
Now I'll be able to sleep tonight. :)
Still don't like the slight "rocking" motion I can get in it, but I'll see what they have to say on Monday.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:34 am

If my memeory serves me correcctly my SA Micro came from the factory with a 1/16 roll pin in the front sight, to keep it centered.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:29 pm

The roll pin is standard. If you're concerned about the movement add a little Red (#272) Locktite to the dovetail and let it cure.

R,
Bullseye

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing with the locktite this morning after the wife shot it. They set the sights for the ammo you shoot, and they did that right for sure.
Was able to get a hold of Gunsite this morning as well and they said the same thing, that the slight movement isn't an issue, but if it was a concern to use the locktite.
I was overly concerned as this one is for the wife, she's shot the same pistol for years, but always asks me why she doesn't have night sights on hers... I bought 2 when I got her's, so now she has one of each.
We both seem to do better with the bar/dot configuration any way.
I do have to say that I feel some embarassment in never having seen this before, especially with the number of 1911s in my safe. :oops:

Thanks for the info once again.