S&W Bodyguard .380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Seems a consensus on small guns not being fun or even comfortable to shoot. I guess that's an advantage of my Bobcats being my carry guns. Lots of comfortable, fun practice. They actually have a nice feel, being 3/4 grip they ought to. I enjoy shooting them as much as any other handgun, within a practical distance.

So in theory at least, I should get more proficient than someone that quickly tires of his tiny .380 (or bigger) beating his hand blue. Score one for a pocket size .22.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:56 pm

I've fired the Beretta 21 and/or the Taurus clone. They are more fun to plink with than the 442 or T738.

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 am

greener wrote: I spent a while with my M&P9 shooting low left and having fits. I was about ready to take a 5-lb hammer to it. Sent it back to Smith and got the front sights fixed. It's been great since.

The rest of my S&W's have been pretty good. Most of my purchases are older models, though.
I think the older Smiths are much better. I know where I can get a Model 28 that doesn't look like it's ever been fired. May pull the trigger on it.

Locoweed

Post by Locoweed » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:14 pm

First it was the trigger failing to reset. Then the take-down lever coming out. When I finally got the pistol back from S&W after the second trip (a new gun) the laser wouldn't work. I was able to remove the laser buttons and rotate them and got the laser working. My next step was to take the pistol to a gun store and trade it in at a substantial loss. I've had it with the BG380. The ******* series seems to have most of the problems solved but people are still having trouble with the lasers and also failure to fire (FTF) incidents are starting to crop up. Many people have commented on what a pleasure it is to shoot the pistol and that it seems to feed just about any kind of ammo. It has a future, just not with me.

I see where on my post I ended up with a string of *******. It's supposed to say the EAB series of serial numbers.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:16 pm

When I first came back to shooting two years ago, my first thought was to get a snubbie .38 and snubbie .22. Ruger would have been my first pick, but they no longer make the SP-101 in .22. That changed my whole return to shooting.

Taurus is hit or miss QC, and Charter isn't much better. S&W was all that was left, and they are too pricey, especially with the quality issues they are having. This is a good example.

The S&W revolver is too dated, too hard to DIY any repair at all. If Ruger had just kept the 101 in .22 LR, my signature list would be a lot different.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

I have a Beretta Bobcat, and I have to agree, they are a blast to shoot! I can reel off 10 rounds in about 3-4 seconds, and what makes that so fun, it's from a tiny handgun. I don't know any other tiny gun that you could do it faster and as comfortable then with this 'cat. There is virtually Zero pain. Drawback, it's good to about 20 feet or so, reliably. I use CCI ammo and it rarely fails.
Haka