S&W Bodyguard .380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, I guess I do not have the patience that you guys have.

If I cannot trust it, I will not use it.

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:20 pm

My newest toy, Bobcat Inox, was still iffy at the end of its first range trip. So it will stay only a range gun until it smooths out to where I trust it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:51 pm

My LCP had to go back to RUGER for a safety recall. They paid both ways and came through with a two week turnaround. Most times after I've shot every thing I planned to shoot at the range I'll walk over to the pistol range and fire the full mag of my LCP just for insurance. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:39 pm

KAZ wrote:My LCP had to go back to RUGER for a safety recall. They paid both ways and came through with a two week turnaround. Most times after I've shot every thing I planned to shoot at the range I'll walk over to the pistol range and fire the full mag of my LCP just for insurance. Regards
Occassionally I do the same with my P3AT, a mag or two nd that is nough shooting for the lighteight.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am

I think I have posted this a time or two before, but I own two S&W's .
The M&P pro 9mm, and the 686-6 357 revolver, both of which had to be sent back to the factory
for repairs right after I got them. M&P needed a new barrel (rifling was bad), and the 686 needed
a new firing pin bushing (misdrilled). I wonder if S&W layed off all of the QA people to save money ?
The guns, although, made it back to me in 10 days - 2 wks time. No probs since, and they are my best
shooters as far as I'm concerned.
Hakaman

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:49 am

I would not be happy witha a gun broken on its maiden voyage either. BUT guns are machines and they need to be tweaked and adjusted to work properly, things break a weak spot in a pin kight look right and might pass quality control but it could shear off at the 1st or 1000th round. my duty glock just had a pin shear in half causing it to become a single shot. the guy I was shooting with said my immediate action tap rack assess was excellent.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:02 pm

I would not be happy witha a gun broken on its maiden voyage either. BUT guns are machines and they need to be tweaked and adjusted to work properly, things break a weak spot in a pin kight look right and might pass quality control but it could shear off at the 1st or 1000th round. my duty glock just had a pin shear in half causing it to become a single shot. the guy I was shooting with said my immediate action tap rack assess was excellent.
Good points, and I agree. I do wonder though, if QC/QA is as good as it has been in the past? The most important things is that they make it right for you when problems occur, and in a prudent fashion. I just bought a Beretta M9A1 9mm pistol, 4 days ago, and I have to exchange it because there is a bluing flaw on the barrel (or is it parkerizing?). A line running down the barrel, ever so lightly, I didn't notice upon purchase. Beretta USA ! But the problem is being taken care of, and quickly, so all will be ok.
Haka

ps...I didn't think a Glock ever broke ?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm

ps...I didn't think a Glock ever broke ?
Mine is at least #2 for the dept, that has broken like that...I've seen broken extractors on them as well

Murphy is always out there Haka..... 8)

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 pm

It must just be me, but this SW 380 is uglier than a Glock. Sorry to those who bought it, I just had to get that off my chest. :shock:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Personally I like the look and feel of the Kahr 380, over all but the little sig saur.... the grip seems to be fat enough to shoot reletively comfortably, there is enough to grab ahold of, and the long smooth trigger stroke is like a nice DA revolver which is great for a belly gun.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Hakaman wrote:ps...I didn't think a Glock ever broke ?

Just kinda melt if you leave 'em in a hot car with the windows up.......... :lol:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 pm

ruger22 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:ps...I didn't think a Glock ever broke ?

Just kinda melt if you leave 'em in a hot car with the windows up.......... :lol:
:shock: not a glock fan, but they are ok.... there isn't anything tangible about why I don't care for them (or the Berretta 92) they just are not right for me.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am

bgreenea3 wrote:not a glock fan, but they are ok.... there isn't anything tangible about why I don't care for them (or the Berretta 92) they just are not right for me.
I didn't really care much for the feel of the Glock grip either, until I picked up a Gen4. Once I placed the large adjustable backstrap on my G17(g4) the feel was much better for my big hands. I also like the larger magazine release button on the G4's.

I also concur about the 92's, that grip feels way too wide for the pistol. I can shoot them well but I don't care for the feel or the trigger.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I do agree that the gen 4's are much better the little tweaks they did to the grip and adding the replaceable grips made a big difference in the feel...the glocks are growing on me but if I had a choice I would go with the XDm those are nice feeling grips

Locoweed

Post by Locoweed » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 pm

There's suddenly a rash of reports of the take-down lever popping out of the BG380 during firing, especially during rapid fire. Some people have had their guns back at the factory twice for this problem and S&W seems to be clueless about the problem and fixing it. Mine just got back from S&W after they fixed a broken trigger mechanism (I only fired two rounds). I'm wondering if I want to invest all my time and ammo in this gun only to find out that I have a take-down lever problem as well. I want my self-defense handguns to be utterly reliable and I certainly don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the BG380. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut my losses and trade it in on another gun.