Ruger LCR 5403

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger LCR 5403

Post by Hakaman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Our club has got a new Ruger LCR 5403 38sp+, for sale $425+Tax.
Anybody have an opinion on this revolver ?
Thanks, Haka
this is a link from Ruger:
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html
Last edited by Hakaman on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm

the couple I've fondled :shock: have been nice, decent trigger for a snub good grips, good sights, light weight, but just different than a traditional wheelgun because of the plastic, not bad just different....someone had a few posts on his not too long ago here....

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 pm

I've had one since the begining of the year. It suits it's purpose well, the recoil isn't as bad as you'd think for that light of a gun, 130 gr seem to do well in it. "Felt" recoil with the same ammo in the 2" SP101 actually feels slightly less in the LCR.
Fits in a pocket real nice and it's light enough you almost forget it's there.
The trigger is about on par with any thing in that size.
Wife carries it when walking the dogs with shotshells for peace of mind after being attacked by a loose dog last year. The pepper spray didn't take effect fast enough.
I gave $350 OTD in January new.

Slanteyedshootist

Post by Slanteyedshootist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Love my LCR. Hundreds of rounds through it of 38 and +P. Manageable recoil and easy to carry for me and my bad back and hip. I use a Crossbreed IWB for carry, a De Santis Nemesis for pocket carry and a Fobus at home. Added a Hi Viz front sight and CT laser grips. She's a keeper.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Wife carries it when walking the dogs with shotshells for peace of mind after being
attacked by a loose dog last year. The pepper spray didn't take effect fast enough.
That's been one of my main concerns, attacking dogs.
Unleashed dogs have charged at me about 10 times this summer as I was doing my cardio walk.
It scares the heck out of me as it seems like their gonna take a chunk out of my leg,
fortunately they haven't yet. I am interested in the "shotshells" you are talking about,
are those store bought, and how do they work in a 38 hg ?
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 am

CCI makes the shot shell and the plasitc cups to load your own, they have a limited range and less penetration glaser safety slugs are much better for effect on the target...... I think I saw a write up on shot shells on http://theboxotruth.com/

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Nice pistol. My wife sleeps with one under her pillow. She did well with the police silhouette target center of mass. The trigger is about right for this type of pistol. I did add the Hi Viz front sight which is a fast secure install using the stock front sight mount. When she carries it on walks she will has 3 rounds of CCI 38/357 shot shells ahead of some Plus P. I like the pistol. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 pm

The shotshells are made by CCI and can be purchased @ Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=757831

I chose the shotshells over the glaser slugs because of the background. We walk on neighborhood streets. A missed round could be ugly, and as bad as this sounds, I don't want her to think she can shoot one @ 10 yards. The math for this shot is bad, 3 leashes in one hand, adrenaline, and all kinds of homes/ people as back drop... I'll stick with the shotshells.

The range with the shotshells is limited, out of the LCR about a 18" pattern 5' from the muzzle. They are effective though, took the wife out for a melon shoot with them so she had confidence and knowledge of what she was shooting.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Reading through this thread about the use of shot shells for attacking dogs. I've wondered about it myself since a couple of great danes charged the wife and I with bared teeth. They stopped when I turned to face them at about four feet. I carried my Snubbie for awhile after that. Those dogs are gone now, and I've made friends with all the neighborhood dogs now by carrying treats with me. The neighbors call me the pied piper of dogs. They all follow me on my walks.

Back to ammo for dogs....I wonder about the plastic target shells that use primers only. I've used these at cardboard boxes and they penetrate at least two layers of corrugated at 20'. Would hurt like he** but not do permanent damage to someones pet. Of course, if I really thought that "pet" was about to do me damage I wouldn't worry about him/her so much. But most dogs are bluff and not really out to do harm. Bird shot seems cruel beyond reason, especially if the dog is only bluffing. Perhaps a couple of plastics backed up with shot???? Just wondering.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Yesterday, while visiting the local gun store, I handled a Ruger LCR.
"Amazingly" light weight, and a nice looking machine. I think it would be easy
to conceal, but might leave an outline on a pants pocket due to the cylinder.
Nonetheless, it is a tempting piece to be put on the "maybe" list. Sharp looking too !
The magnum version is slightly heavier, and not an option
for me. I don't think a magnum is necessary for typical SD.
Haka

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Hakaman wrote:Yesterday, while visiting the local gun store, I handled a Ruger LCR.
"Amazingly" light weight, and a nice looking machine. I think it would be easy
to conceal, but might leave an outline on a pants pocket due to the cylinder.
Nonetheless, it is a tempting piece to be put on the "maybe" list. Sharp looking too !
The magnum version is slightly heavier, and not an option
for me. I don't think a magnum is necessary for typical SD.
Haka
Both of my sons have them. One a magnum and the other .38 spl. I had a chance to shoot them both in my indoor home range. Recoil is managable. in both and they both conceal as well as my S&W 36. with only a fraction of the weight of the 36. The trigger is much better (smoother) on either of them than my 36 and lighter, too. We fired both into a block of 4x6 fir into the 6" edge. One .38 spl +P and the other mag. The mag. penetrated only 1.5" further than the +P. Not sure that 1.5" is worth the extra bang and flash.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:03 am

Not sure that 1.5" is worth the extra bang and flash.
I don't think it is, because it also weighs more. I heard magnums were designed for barrels of 4" or more?
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Not sure that 1.5" is worth the extra bang and flash.
I don't think it is, because it also weighs more. I heard magnums were designed for barrels of 4" or more?
Haka
Nope. There are a bunch of k-frame snubbies that do .357. Lighter revolvers are just going to give you more recoil along with the flash.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:03 am

Nope. There are a bunch of k-frame snubbies that do .357. Lighter revolvers are just going to give you more recoil along with the lash
If Mr Greener says so, I believe him. Do you really need that much power for self defense? I would rather move up to a 40 or 45 for more "complete" results.
H

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 am

Hakaman wrote:
Nope. There are a bunch of k-frame snubbies that do .357. Lighter revolvers are just going to give you more recoil along with the lash
If Mr Greener says so, I believe him. Do you really need that much power for self defense? I would rather move up to a 40 or 45 for more "complete" results.
H
For example

Colt Lawman .357

Other than my fondness for .38/.357 revolvers, I think I agree with you on the .40 or .45.