Self Defense

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Nothing wrong with a .22 for a BUG. Tons wrong with it as a primary carry (but to each his/her own).

While a .22 is far superior to bare hands, I heartily recommend a .45 as primary carry, a 9mm as secondary, and a .380 or .22 as deep BUG.

Just my opinion, others may (and usually do) vary.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

My 21A is in my back pocket almost every hour that I'm awake here around the house. I live just outside town on a little acreage and you can't see my house from the road. My family and I would be easy pickins if caught away from a gun. On the mower, down at the kennel, out in the garden--sometimes in the summer just shorts with a .22 in the back pocket (too much information, I know).

I've killed several snakes with it--including a fat and sassy cottonmouth just about a month ago. The moccasin is the only snake I've ever run into that will actively move toward you--mouth wide open!

I do own and carry larger guns when appropriate, but the 21A is a good one for sure. As a matter of fact, it's the only auto that I've ever owned that has never had a single jam--no failures of any kind with very little maintenance on my part. I can pull it out covered in pocket lint and pop off 7 or 8 Minimags in a hurry. I trust it like a revolver. I don't recommend golden bullets, but when I bought the gun new maybe 15 years ago--never missed a beat with a couple hundred of those.

It wouldn't be my first choice if I KNEW a BG was coming, but a few Minimags would be bad medicine and quite the deterrent.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm

I have no probem with folks carring a 22 for SD as long as they realize its limitations and even with hyper vel ammo it may not have the desired effect in its target. as ANY calibre, short of BMG, may not be effective. I Think that we need to Quit the "best Defense round" discussions. Ammo is better now than it has ever been and hot rounds like .32naa .327federal and better bullets from 32 & 380 acp make the smaller rounds Balistically better than ever. Now don't get me wrong I would rather hit smeone with a Baseball than a BB if it were up to me, but if all I could carry was that Bobcat because of size or availability, then Thats what I would use.

the 38 spl is no sloutch ballistics wise and has been a trusted round for SD and Police use for about a hundred years or so, so that must not be such a poor choice either.

Now the only round that i would avoid is the 25 auto. they are neat little guns eazy to conceal, probably pretty reliable but the balistics make the 22lr look like a magnum, not one I would trust my life on.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:04 pm

As a young paramedic I saw a thug brought into the ER that had been shot in the forehead with a 25. It hit the bone, ran under the scalp and was stuck in the back of his head. They popped it out with a sharp instrument and he walked out.

My uncle shot another thug in the forehead with a 32 right in front of City Hall--he was being mugged. The same thing happened and the dude walked out of the hospital. My uncle said that he went home, put the gun in the closet and said he "guessed" it was still there today because he had no use for it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:34 pm

I've heard similar stories with 22lr too...makes a good case for aiming Center of mass

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:35 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I've heard similar stories with 22lr too...makes a good case for aiming Center of mass
roger that

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I just go by the adage that any gun with you is better than the one you left at home. Bigger guns are more uncomfortable, so a little one is more likely to be with you more often. I also believe you should carry the same gun year-round, for maximum automatic response.

I also realize there are some little ones that shoot bigger than .22. I've heard a good deal about them ineffective, too. So, if I have to, I'll accept emptying a whole mag into a BG. I figure stopping power, not blow the BG into the next county power, and most BGs would stop at the sight of any gun, or after the first hit with any caliber.

Shot placement is critical. With .22LR, I get enough practice that I can now usually hipshoot a paper plate at 30 feet with at least six of the eight rounds. I couldn't afford that much practice with a larger caliber. If I had the green, I might be carrying a Seecamp or NAA Guardian.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:10 pm

In a seld defense situation you will not have the time or calm nerves to place the so called "well aimed shot" it will be a point and shoot at close range so just go for the largest target and shoot until the BG stops or drops.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:45 pm

bearandoldman wrote:In a seld defense situation you will not have the time or calm nerves to place the so called "well aimed shot" it will be a point and shoot at close range so just go for the largest target and shoot until the BG stops or drops.
also on that topic, I have a Kahr P-40 that is veritably uncontrollable after the first shot. I can't even imagine a 2nd "well aimed shot" with it.

I'm thinking of trading back for a J-frame that I know I can hold on to.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:14 pm

perazzi wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:In a seld defense situation you will not have the time or calm nerves to place the so called "well aimed shot" it will be a point and shoot at close range so just go for the largest target and shoot until the BG stops or drops.
also on that topic, I have a Kahr P-40 that is veritably uncontrollable after the first shot. I can't even imagine a 2nd "well aimed shot" with it.

The 442 is easy to hold, but I'd have thought the P-40 to be a pretty easy shooting pistol.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Either one of these is a good cold weather carryImage

warm weather this one is easier to conceal Image
If you want a really big gun but hard to hide, try thois oneImage

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 am

greener wrote:
perazzi wrote:

The 442 is easy to hold, but I'd have thought the P-40 to be a pretty easy shooting pistol.
p40 is a bit snappy on the recoil but not too bad, a friend of mine loves her cw40 and pops raccoons off of her bird feeder with it, but she's a tom-boy farm girl....

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 am

The grip is too small for my hands.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 am

perazzi wrote:The grip is too small for my hands.
M<aybe we can get someone to make you some cuatom grips? 8)

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:30 am

Nah you all are just tuffer n' me....