Revolver/Auto

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Revolver/Auto

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Ok, here's a question for the handgunners:
If you had choice to own "just" revolvers, or "just" semi-autos, which type would you own?
Keep in mind, you could own multiple calibers and styles of one or the other,
but just in revolver or just semi auto. I am interested in knowing the reasons why as well.
Thanks, Haka
ps...I'll save my 2 cents for now.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm

I'd dump my one revolver, although the little thing is fun to shoot.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 pm

you could have the best of both worlds with a webly fosbery. a semi auto revolver

but for me that would be a tough one..... probably semi autos because that is what we carry at work. BUT I think that they both have their place.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:37 am

If I HAD to make the choice, I'd keep the revolvers. Have way more of those anyway, and in calibers to cover most all the bases.
My semi's are .22 and .40, and redundant, but I like them.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 am

I'd keep the revolvers.....well, maybe one 1911 also.. would that be cheating?

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:09 am

perazzi wrote:I'd keep the revolvers.....well, maybe one 1911 also.. would that be cheating?
You'd have to switch to the M1917 if you wanted to remain pure.
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_fire ... m1917.php3

My choice would be revolvers. Simpler, easier to handle, very dependable, wider range of bullet/load available and I just happen to really like 4" revolvers.

Of course I could get by very nicely with .22 semiautomatics and 1911's.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:59 pm

my buddy did have a m1917, those are big ol' hoglegs... heavy heavy gun.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:25 am

Semi-auto, no contest.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Even though I like the revolvers, Semi-Autos would be my choice.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm

I used to be a wheelgun fan, but now it would be semi-autos. They have the advantage of being, on average, easier to repair; just swap parts in many instances with little or no fitting. They are easier to detail strip. they hold more rounds, and are quicker to reload.

Revolvers have an advantage in shooting most any brand ammo that fits, and many will shoot several different calibers. But they are harder to disassemble, repair, and clean.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 am

Well, since I started this thread, I'll add my 2 cents. If I had to choose, it would be difficult, but I'm liking my revolvers better these days. They have a cool look to them, very reliable, accurate, and compete in the area of "concealed carry". They are made very light weight/strong these days, and headspace off the rim, not the mouth of the brass. Is trimming to length "less" important for headspacing? I think so. Roll crimping is another option/preference to be considered, that is more sensitive in semi autos. My 357 S&W shoots "powderpuff" 38sp loads, heavy 38sp+ loads, and 357 magnum loads. In any of those loads I don't have to worry about "cycling", it's a revovler! Sure, it only loads 5 to 8 rounds at a time, but in reality, when will you really need more for SD? As I am becoming an older reloader, I don't want to bend over and chase brass around during sessions, "brass chasing" isn't an issue, just open the cylinder/gate and plop, right into my brass container.
Ain't she a beauty !!!

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Hak,
I like all those things from revolvers. heck, I carrry one (smith 442 38spl)just about everyday and have for about 9 years. But they do have their limitations. Autos are usually flatter (for easier carry), carry more boolits, and reload faster. revolvers have the advantage if you get a click instead of a BOOM (you just pull the trigger again, instead of tap-rack-bang) and they are just the most reliable arm you can get. for my situation for a primary gun to carry on my hip I'll go with a semi-auto. thats just me though

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:00 pm

for my situation for a primary gun to carry on my hip I'll go with a semi-auto. thats just me though
For your line of work, I would agree 100%. I am not a "gung ho" carry person, just a weekend target shooter, along with mild competitions. That's what makes the responses interesting, everybody has their own "angle" on the subject.
Thanks,
Haka

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Other than 2 autos in .22 caliber, I've slowly gotten rid of every automatic pistol--the last S&W 3913 9mm just the other day. I have even given away (or traded for more .38) all of the ammo for those guns.

I can fully understand all of the reasons why folks would choose automatics. Personally, I've just rolled back to the revolvers and will (very slowly) try to build up a little stockpile of ammunition for the ones that I own.

If I were in law enforcement or other field that required carry--of course I would be an AUTO man.

Good thread, and I too like reading the reasoning of fellow gun toters--most folks make a lot more sense than I do.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Come on guys!!! Give it some LOVE ......