SR9c vs S&W 36 "Chief's Special"

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

SR9c vs S&W 36 "Chief's Special"

Post by Jack D » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm considering selling or trading my old S&W 36 in favor of the Ruger SR9c. Just not sure how they compare for a carry gun.....concealability???? My model 36 is invisible under any "T" shirt , sweat shirt or jacket, in the kidney position. Would the SR9c be similar? Any other reasons why this would not be a good move?

Thanks, in advance for your opinions.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm

If you're good with revolvers then functionality is number one with them, no jamming or misfeeds like there are with autopistols. The downside is only five rounds with the M36 snubby vice 10 with the Ruger.

R,
Bullseye

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Depending on whether you "need" to trade or not you also have to consider holsters and such. I've got a 36 that I've carried occasionally wearing running style shorts and a t-shirt. For my XDSC and anything comparable you have to have a belt to hold it up or a shoulder rig. Personally it's a trade off, 5 +P 38's or 9 9mm. If possible finance another way and keep the 36

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 pm

99/100 wrote:Depending on whether you "need" to trade or not you also have to consider holsters and such. I've got a 36 that I've carried occasionally wearing running style shorts and a t-shirt. For my XDSC and anything comparable you have to have a belt to hold it up or a shoulder rig. Personally it's a trade off, 5 +P 38's or 9 9mm. If possible finance another way and keep the 36
Are you saying the SR9c is too large to carry tucked into my waist? Too heavy? I'm not sure what the 36 weighs, but I assumed it was similar. It is an older, all steel model. I use the Remora "no clip" holster with my 36, tucked into my waist under my belt. No belt loops involved. It rides there all day without problems. I believe they make one suitable for the SR9c.

http://remoraholsters.com/
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm not sure why I've gone all "old school" at only 41 years of age, but aside from a pair of rimfire semi-autos, I've traded or sold every carry gun other than revolvers. Simple and reliable, but the tradeoff is, of course, 5 shots.

I've got an airweight model 36 (almost identical to your 37) and 2 model 642s--one with a chunky Hogue grip and the other with a Crimson Trace. The one sporting the Hogue is really too troublesome for carry and stays at the house, but the other 2 with boot-type handles carry just right.

When I'm at home, the .38s are used to get me to the shotgun.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 am

radio wrote:I'm not sure why I've gone all "old school" at only 41 years of age, but aside from a pair of rimfire semi-autos, I've traded or sold every carry gun other than revolvers. Simple and reliable, but the tradeoff is, of course, 5 shots.

I've got an airweight model 36 (almost identical to your 37) and 2 model 642s--one with a chunky Hogue grip and the other with a Crimson Trace. The one sporting the Hogue is really too troublesome for carry and stays at the house, but the other 2 with boot-type handles carry just right.

When I'm at home, the .38s are used to get me to the shotgun.
I'm torn between the selling or trading the 36 or a hunting rifle that I never use anymore. At 71, I'm, undoubtedly, never going to hunt again and it is rarely taken out of the safe. I can, and do, shoot my handguns at my home indoor makeshift range. Maybe it makes more sense to sell the hunting gun. It's a Savage 24V combo gun .30/30 and 20 ga. Also an older model with separated barrels. Hmmmmm. Might bring enough to get the Ruger SR9c.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 am

I'm not a revolver guy at all, and I recently got some trigger time on a Ruger SR9c.

So in my biased opinion, the SR9c is a pretty damn good gun, even compared to other comparable-price autos. Not my cup of tea, quite ... but a nice little heater that has the merit of being an actual Ruger design instead of a KelTec copy. I like my autos thinner, and don't need a LCI or manual safety for a gun I'll carry on-body in a secure holster, although the trigger on the SR9c might almost justify the safety.

The one we got a chance to shoot had a nice* trigger, a two-finger grip**, decent sights, and was of appropriate IWB carry size.

* (for a striker-fired gun, it was pretty good, on par with the XD "almost single action" trigger, heavier but crisper, perhaps?)
** (for me, at least, but I have monster hands and am used to a dangling pinky)

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 am

I think you should. Can I buy your 36?

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Thinking with my finger-tips, the problem with selling the 36 is all the goodies that I have purchased for it. Dies, speed loader, holsters (3), hundreds of unused cast bullets, laser, etc. All of which become useless to me.

That's not a problem with the 24V. I have none of those "extras" for it.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Seems like you just need to figure out what you want / need most.
Being on a rather fixed (retirement) budget, I have to do that every day.
Personally, in your shoes, I would keep the Mdl. 36. Lots of time, parts, acccessories, etc. invested there.
The Mod. 24-not so much.
I have a few fire arms that I've carefully picked up over the years, most of which I just won't sell. A couple maybe, maybe not.
I only have 3 semi auto handguns, 2 are .22s just for fun, targets, etc. (except the Colt Woodsman built in 1938 which I do shoot at times.)
The other lives by the bed.
Revolvers just sing to me though. My favorite is a 38-44 S&W. Others have various rolls. I usually carry my XD .40 when out of the house, or almost as often a revolver.
Lots of stuff I've seen, that I "Just can't live without", after a week or so of thinking about it, I usually can do without it.
Anyway, whatever choices you make, good for you, enjoy and move forward.

I checked out your web-site. Intersting things you make.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

I'd keep the revolver and trade the rifle you say you won't use anymore. then you have options of what you want to carry

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm

I like bgreene's suggestion, but I'm not a gun trader/seller. I just add them to the collection.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. My preference is the revolver,but I tend to alternate carrying a 442 and a Taurus .380. Like them both and both are easy to pocket-carry. The SR9c might be a bit bigger than you like.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm

I know the 36 may be like an old friend after carrying it for years. If not, why not just upgrade to a new S&W snubbie? Then all the "extras" you already have still work with it ,too.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7751_image
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes, it is a friendly firearm. I've had it for many years....and it belonged to my father before me. After giving it much thought, I'm leaning toward selling the Savage 24V. I've also owned it many, many years (bought it new) and for an all around hunter, it is hard to beat. I've already passed on or sold my other hunting rifles. My sons aren't much interested in single shot rifles.

Maybe it's time to let it (24V) go and get that new handgun. I see others going for $300 up to $600 on gunbroker.com. I'm a little leary of gunbroker.com. I've not had a bad experience there, but one of my sons did. The local media can't/won't take ads for firearms, so I'm not sure how to advertise a gun for sale or how to go about selling one. Consignment at a local dealer is an option, I suppose. Other options????
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 pm

My local newspaper won't list any firearms, either. We do have two classifieds type papers, The Trading Post and the Nickel Trader, that will list gun ads. They are sold in convenience stores. One charges a small percentage of the sale price, and the other charges a flat price for any ad. May be you have some similar papers in your area.

If you have a fair local gun shop, they may offer enough on a trade to compare to a consignment sale, since you would lose a percentage to them on that.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols