SR9c vs S&W 36 "Chief's Special"

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm

If you have a gun range of any type with in a fair distance do this.. Take a picture of the rifle and print your phone number on a piece of note book paper about 8 or 10 times. Make it so some one can tear it off. Post it on the range board. I have bought several guns this way off our board. Good luck.. :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm

A target range or gun club is an excellent way to advertise firearms to a willing audience.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Unfortunately, the nearest gun club or range is over 30 miles from me. That's why I built the handgun bullet trap for my shop. I'd love it, if one were closer. I'd gladly join. BLM land is much closer (10 minutes), but no place there to post. I wonder if local dealers might have a bulletin board????

I see this forum has a "Trading Post", but doesn't seem to get much action. I learned about Armslist from reading that forum. Armslist doesn't seem to have much action either, however. Still, can't hurt to try them.......when I make up my mind.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

You might give these folks a try. Maybe they could advise you.
I couldn't find a web site.

Oregon State Rifle Association
8725 Ne Sandy Boulevard
Portland, OR 97220-4907 map
Phone:(503) 286-3206 Website:Information not found
Or maybe this
http://www.thegunnetwork.com/gun_dealers/OR/-/0/

tguil

Post by tguil » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I read a lot and post little, but here goes. I too am "getting up there" at age 68. I still hunt with a rifle, handgun and bow and plan on doing so for many more years....but at a slower pace. I plan on keeping all of my guns until I can no longer pull the trigger. I seem to have a continuing urge to buy a new gun, but when I think about what I currently have, I realize that I really don't want a new one. My current guns are all in great shape and I shoot them well. Why mess with a good thing.

So what happens if I unexpectedly "kick the bucket"? Simple...my wife is to call Cabela's or another reputable gun shop and have them take them all. I've enjoyed them and don't see the need for a major effort in trying to sell them.

I too have a Model 36 and I'd not part with it for a new gun. I also have a couple of rifles and shotguns that I rarely shoot. They are "old friends" who are simply nice to have around. Lots of great memories...that's good for a few more years in the gun case.

08 Cayenne

Post by 08 Cayenne » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I like Rugers, own a bunch, but not a chance I would sell a 36 for one. I carry mine every day, mainly pocket.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I may not have to. I have a pending sale on my Savage 24V that gets me more than enough to buy a new SR9c and most of a Crimson Trace laser, too. Might have to chip in a few dollars to make both. I haven't sene the money, yet, so can't make the jump yet. I had no idea I could get that much for a 24V. :D
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

The Savage 24V has been sold....MO is in the mail. The search begins today for that Ruger SR9c. I think I'll get the stainless slide (no bluing to wear off). But before I buy, I first want to get one in my hand to see how it fits. My hands are small and the SR9c is supposed to be a great fit for small hands (most double stack semi-autos aren't). I can't wait!
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

tguil

Post by tguil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Nothing like a new gun to melt away a few years. Have fun! :D

Tom

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 pm

tguil wrote:Nothing like a new gun to melt away a few years. Have fun! :D

Tom
Far too many have melted away already. :lol:
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I always thought the SR9 was a DAO autoloader. I like their looks but never bought one because I thought they were DAO and would have a heavy trigger. Am I wrong?

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Mr. Nail wrote:I always thought the SR9 was a DAO autoloader. I like their looks but never bought one because I thought they were DAO and would have a heavy trigger. Am I wrong?
As I understand it, it's a striker fired (what ever that is) and the recoil partially "cocks" it. Then it's finished with the trigger. The trigger is a fairly light 5.2# (SR9c) and by all reviews, nice and smooth.

I've read several reviews and they are all similar to this one.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR9C.htm
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm

DAO, Striker fired. I wish I knew someone who owned one to shoot a few times. I like the serations.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:43 pm

My search is coming to a close. The outcome is not what I started out to achieve, however. I gave the issue much thought. Maybe too much thought. Thinking about the pros and cons of the SR9c and semi-autos in general, then the same for revolvers......and calibers.....I finally came to the conclusion that another revolver is the way to go for me. Also staying with the same caliber made sense, too. No additional dies or supplies to buy. I began looking at, and handling, .357 mag. revolvers. The added power and the ability to handle many different loads from light target loads to full magnum loads is appealing. The fact that I won't have to chase casings all over the floor and ground is another nice feature. To narrow it down some more, I reviewed the probable uses and desires for this revolver.....We frequently walk in the woods while camping and I wanted one that was comfortable to carry, but not too small. Concealment not too big a concern there. I also wanted one that was small enough to conceal at times. I still have my S&W 36 "carry gun". Home defense was another probable use. Something comfortable to shoot is another requirement.

My son offered to sell me his SP101, 3" .357 mag.........perfect! I'll fit it with a CTC lase grip.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Good choice, IMHO