Dan Wesson in 45 ACP

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Dan Wesson in 45 ACP

Post by gcp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:35 am

Good morning to all and a very happy new year!

I've recently become interested in the Dan Wessons in 45ACP. I have two 357mag revolvers of theirs, one of which was the very first pistol I ever purchase back in 1982, so nostalgia plays a big role in this quest. Anyway, due to my utter satisfaction to the DW revolvers I thought it may be nice to also add one of their 45ACPs to my collection. From what I've been reading they are made very well, and I love the way their bobtail grip looks and feels in my hand but they are a bit pricey. Now keeping in mind that I also own a SA long slide in SS and a circa 1967 National match both of which are great pistols, so can the Dan Wesson be that much better a pistol to warrant the extra $1,200-$1500 expenditure? It would be nice to have a DW 4.5" bobtail carry gun but I don't much carry a gun anyway so.... Are any of you aware of a great sale that would make it unresistable for me to seal this deal? In other words enable me would you? :roll:

Just thinking out loud here among friends.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I would say that if you were going to spend that much money, you should spend a little more and get a Les Baer 8) The LB 1911 concept VII pistol is commander sized and you can probably get one for around $1,600. Unlike with the Dan Wesson, Les Baer 1911s are all hand fitted and even the commander sized concept VII is guaranteed to shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. Also, the trigger is going to be way better out of the box on the LB. Though the LB is all steel unlike the Dan Wesson, not sure if you specifically wanted an aluminum frame.

One downside for the LB is you will probably have to way 4 or 5 months for it to be built.

If you do end up wanting something to carry a lot, I would probably just go with something less expensive like a Springfield.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 pm

George to George,

I appreciate the inpu! After close inspection and a lot of reading I decided to forego the DW. At $700 or so I'd be glad to add it to my collection but at today's retail prices I don't think so!

I always wanted a 10mm so I opted for the Tanfoglio Elite Match. Have had a 9mm Tanfoglio for over 10 years and absolutely love this accurate and well made pistol, lets hope the 10mm proves as good. Plus I can turn it into a 45 acp, 22, or 40 by only replacing the barrel slide and mag.
Last edited by gcp on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Glad you got something you like. The ergonomics of the Tanfoglio Elite Match look almost identical to that of the CZ-75, which I know enjoys quite a following in certain divisions within IDPA and USPSA/IPSC.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 am

DW makes a pretty nice pistol, with the newer models within the last couple years being free of MIM parts that some squirm from owning. If you shop you will likely beat that $1200 price by quite a bit.

Always liked the look of the Tanfoglio's but always questioned their durability and quality.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:52 am

T, my 9mm has proven to be a very durable pistol, it feeds and shoots everything you feed through it. Plus, nothing fits the hand better and that's coming from a devoted 1911 guy.

On the DW, you're right, I'll have to take my time for the right deal to appear.