Bersa Thunder .380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bersa Thunder .380

Post by teejay » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

As I grow older, I'm finding myself becoming more and more in the "Victim" group, and less in the middle-aged guy who can take care of himself, I've been thinking about carrying a little something when I go out. Anyone had experience with the Bersa Thunder .380? They seem to be the size of a Walther PP. Are they as reliable? The price is certainly about right, but I'd rather stay away from junk. Opinions, please. TJ
Last edited by teejay on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Its a decent gun and a great value. not flashy or expensive and it is reliable. I know a couple of guys that have them and love them.. its basically bersa's version of the PPKS.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

The Bersa's have a pretty good reputation as a pocket pistol.

R,
Bullseye

jrayb95

Post by jrayb95 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm

If you are looking at a .380 you might want to take a look at the CZ83.
I have the nickel .380 and it has been fool proof. It's easy to take down and clean and I haven't found anything it won't eat including several different reloads. It's typical CZ quality at a reasonable price.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 am

Everything I've read and heard about Bersas has been positive, except that they can be a little hard to find extra magazines for.

In a larger gun, the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm seems to be rated the outstanding gun for the money, of any size. It's a former Beretta gun, and Beretta owns Stoeger. The gun is made in Turkey on Beretta's machinery, and is said to be just as good as before.

In a smaller .380 than the Bersa, Ruger's LCP or NAA's .380 Guardian get good ratings.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 pm

bersa mags are all over the place and easy to find here. and if you want a metal, little gun it would be hard to beat for the price.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

I have never shot one but I know several people who carry them for back ups and they have no complaints with them. I carry a KT-3AT with me at all times and I have no complaints with it.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

jrayb95 wrote:If you are looking at a .380 you might want to take a look at the CZ83.
I have the nickel .380 and it has been fool proof. It's easy to take down and clean and I haven't found anything it won't eat including several different reloads. It's typical CZ quality at a reasonable price.
Oddly enough, that was the other one I was looking at. It cost just a bit more, but I figured it was good to go, being Czech made. I wanted to know what everyone thought of the Bersa. I kind of liked its' looks. Thaks for the suggestion. TJ

dacaur

Post by dacaur » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 pm

My brother has a bersa thunder. Everything I have read about them said they should be dead reliable, but my bothers is not, at least one stoppage every other mag, hes not very happy with it, he bought it for a CCW but understandably doesn't trust it... Its also big and heavy for a .380, being a gun made before the current generation of micro's... you can get a 9mm smaller and lighter than the bersa thunder, and recoil will be about the same, due to the thunders straight blowback design (vs locked breech tilt bbl for the current generation stuff) If you are happy with .380, you can get an LCP thats smaller and weighs less than half what the thunder does, and with lighter recoil (due to polymer frame + locked breech operation)