Once used brass and a blown up gun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:42 pm

That is great, lucam. BFD will be our resident Webster, and you'll be the editor. You guys could give an English prof a fit.

Easy to confuse these technical terms. I guess the bad round Explodified the Sig, then afterwards you would say it Explodinated?....... :rothfl:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Good laff - good lesson

Post by Coach1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the laffs, lucam. You may not make the next edition of Funk & Wagnall's dictionary... but the crew here enjoyed it.

I think I will do some research on the web for a trauma kit to add to my range bag. Don't have one.. thank goodness we did not need one last weekend.. but now realize I should have had one on hand. (no pun intended).

An update: The gun show is next weekend not this one. So, we should have the Sig back with a full manufacturer's report to take with us to the ammo vendor.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm

On the subject of Trauma Kits, Celox is a great thing to add.

It's a quick clotting agent that can stop even major arterial bleeding very quickly. Could be a lifesaver.

Odd note: it's developed by a marine biologist from crab blood.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 am

YES you should have a basic first aid kit in your range stuff, and some know-how on how to use it. The same goes for your vehicle.

And remember, if you're the guy with the kit, you may not know the poor slob who needs help out of it, so include good gloves that aren't going to get contaminated.

Everyone should be able to do basic FA, please, if you haven't ever done so or haven't been in a few years (decades?) hit up a class or two, you might save a life.

jimjc

Post by jimjc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 am

"Explodification" is a experience that I wish to stay as far away from as I can.....Yet another, gold star on the side of my trusty Ruger GP100 revolver. Pretty soon the gold stars will out weight its trigger pull :lol:

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Revolvers can explodinate too, if you manage to ignite a round not in line with the barrel or if you had a squib you run the risk, as well as the classic double charge of powder.

http://cdn.mqstatic.com/files/gunslot/i ... /64858.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... XjdrSA&t=1

http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment ... mh2502.jpg

http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment ... mh2497.jpg

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Sure revolvers can explode but the original question was "out of Battery" detonation. There's other reasons why revolver can fail catastrophically.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

There's other reasons why revolver can fail catastrophically.
If I had to guess, the first reason would be overloading, or double loaded rounds. Another reason might be timing issues?
Haka

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

TRauma Kits

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

I ordered a trauma kit for me and my son in law that will fit in our range bags.. And it comes with Celux blood clotting agent... lots of other good stuff too, of course.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: TRauma Kits

Post by lucam » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Coach1 wrote:I ordered a trauma kit for me and my son in law that will fit in our range bags.. And it comes with Celux blood clotting agent... lots of other good stuff too, of course.
Excellent! Way to be prepared!

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Intermediate update

Post by Coach1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:38 pm

The story of the blown up Sig continues. Son-in-Law and I expected to see the reload ammo vendor at the gun show on Saturday. However, they did not have a table. The show was full.. all vendor spaces were taken. So, maybe they got locked out. John checked the ammo can and there is a label that says the cartridge company does not warranty once used brass. Essentially, you are are on your own. John will call them on Monday and see if they will have their insurance cover all or part of the gun repairs.

Our LGS has a report back from Sig. They will not cover the repairs as it is evident that the failed cartridge caused the damage. Sig checked the gun thoroughly and reported that only the grip and the slide were damaged. The repairs are $200 plus $28 for shipping. We think that is a very reasonable repair cost.. for the inspection. new slide & grips and test fire. He told the shop owner to approve the repairs at Sig. Now, if he can get any cover from the ammo vendor.. he will be pretty happy.

Although, what to do with the rest of the once used brass ammo? He will probably just save it in anticipation of the TBD zombie attacks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I'd drop check some of those rounds in the barrel when the gun comes back. That way you can see if there's some rounds that are not seated or lengthened properly.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 pm

What are some headspacing problems with 45acp in a revolver(RugerBHC) that could be dangerous?
Haka

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Drop check to screen once used reloads

Post by Coach1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the idea, Bullseye. I will pass that on to John. But even so.. he has little confidence in this can of ammo now. Can't say I blame him.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Again this is not an issue for 45 ACP in a revolver. An auto pistol head spaces off of the 45 ACP cartridge case rim. Any out of tolerance loads, lengthwise, create an out of battery situation. Any length issues with a revolver would most likely get noticed when the cylinder will not close or rotate.

R,
Bullseye