Range Officer

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 am

Go over to the bullseye L forum .......and check it out......

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:22 am

Georgezilla wrote:
keithj wrote:the RO is being used in Bullseye shooting in stock form except for some trigger work ...many shooters reporting 2'' @ 50yds Ransom Rest.......
I'd like to see ANY brand's stock, non-customshop, 1911 do that on a production scale quantity :P
The Range Officer, out of the box, will shoot a tighter group than MOST shooters can hold!!!!
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't doubt that there are some ROs out there that are shooters. However, you guys are accomplished shooters so you know most stock 1911s group 6" - 12" at 50 yards. I know some group a little better than those numbers or a little worse, I personally have seen a 3" stock 1911.

I do doubt that the 2" results people have been reporting attained on a production, i.e. if SA rolls 200 i doubt anywhere near 100 units can shoot 2" groups. That being said, I do think it is ill-advised for someone to buy a RO and expect it to be a 2" gun out of the box. However, to make this more than an opinion I would need to get my hands on about 10 of them to strap into my ransom rest.

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 pm

gorgezilla,
The RAnge officer is built to the same specs as their trophy match ........TRP.......Just no bells and whistles.......A freind of mine has a stock trophy match that from a ransom rest with a 185gr handload will shoot 2.5 all day at 50 yds.........But I am sure not ever gun will do that well some may be better......some may be slighty losser......either way Springfield is turning out pistols that new shooters can get into the BE game with and build on later......I screwed up and bought a Kimber......which WAS the worst POC I have ever owned.......I bought their TARGET model and from a rest I could not do better than 3'' at 50FT.........to make matters worst Kimber would not address the crap accuracy issue........If had had a choice to carry a kimber or sharpen a stick.........I'd be gettin out my knife and lookin for a stick......either way I sold the Kimber and plan on selling my custom carry as well ....I will not support a company that has no concept of customer satisfaction.......Rant over have a great T-day........

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:28 pm

My sentiments apply to any stock 1911 not from a custom shop, Trophy Match included. If the Range Officer, Trophy Match, TRP, Gold Cup could on average print 2" at 50 yards, it'd be in the brochure and a lot of 1911 smiths would be out of a job, and Les Bear would go out of business. SA's custom shop offers to accurize their 1911s for +$895, where they (among other things) fit the bushing, barrel, and slide together, and crimp the rails, if they knew their pistols were already 2" shooters they wouldn't offer that.

My main intention in posting my generalized opinion on stock 1911s was so a new BE shooter wouldn't read this and assume that a higher-end stock 1911(Range Officer or otherwise) is on average going to be able to compete with a smithed BE gun. When I was getting into this stuff I assumed that the 2000 era Cult Gold Cup could compete against a smithed ball gun. If Bullseye and others on this forum hadn't chimed in to tell me that the current Gold Cup models are just production guns and wont be shooting 10 shot 3" groups with ball, I would have wasted a lot of money.

I am in 100% agreement about the Springfield Armory pistol's as a starting point. Forged frame and slide at a decent price, cant beat that. The SA 1911s are indeed excellent starting platforms to get worked on.