Glock gen 3 vs. gen 4

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Glock gen 3 vs. gen 4

Post by radio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 am

I've been kicking around getting a new Glock 17 or 19. Never having owned a Glock, I've done a few minutes of research and found some internet "chatter" regarding the gen 4. Some don't like it as well as the gen 3 and some have gone so far as to call it junk.

I know that a company can never make everyone happy, but would like to hear from folks that have owned (or at least used) both.

Thanks, in advance

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:47 pm

i'll let you know... my dept is upgrading our duty weapons from the gen 3 to the gen 4.... don't know when we'll get the new guns we are on government time
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:11 am

I have both styles and I prefer the Gen 4 over the older generations. I also have to say that I'm not a huge Glock aficionado. I have a few of them but I really prefer the 1911 for the mechanical aspects of an autopistol.

The features I like on the Gen 4 G-17 are the larger mag release, the add-on grip panels, and the new RTF grip. I'm still up in the air on the dual recoil spring system. Functioning has not been an issue for me but I don't put a lot of rounds through the 17. Plus, my being a seasoned handgun shooter means I have a very firm grip and that helps prevent some function issues. In the past I've had to add extended mag releases but with the new larger Gen 4 release button I do not feel like changing the button. I can easily activate the new style release with my thumb. My hands are rather large and the traditional Glock grip was never comfortable for me until I got the Gen 4 with the add on grip panels. Now I have a grip that provides a comfortable reach for my trigger finger and my sized hands. I may still add an extended slide stop but for now I've left it with the factory original. Also with the grip the new texture seems to feel more secure. I know most folks who shoot the Glock a lot have taken a soldering iron to the grip and stippled their older generation Glock's surface to increase the roughness of the frame and prevent slipping. I don't feel that is necessary with the new RTF grip.

Just some of my observations.

R,
Bullseye

hotroderx

Post by hotroderx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:22 am

I have a G17 Gen 4 and the complaints you will read online normally have to do with people using the under powered 115gr Walmart loads. The spring in the Gen 4 G17/G19 was redesigned to help lower recoil.

Some of the first released Gen 4 G17/G19s had springs that where extremely stiff think 40cal stiff. So when you used certain 115gr loads they where not powerful enough to cycle the slide correctly.

People started seeing lots of FTF and FTE they automatically thought there was something majorly wrong with the Gen 4s when there where no issues at all.

I was one of the people who got a G17 Gen 4 with the ultra stiff recoil spring. I couldn't shoot any 115gr ammo from walmart. I switched to RWS 124gr loads from walmart they worked just fine. That's when I learned about the spring issues in the Gen 4.

I will go ahead and tell ya there are two ways to fix the spring issue if your gun happens to have it.

1st fix is to shoot a few hundred 124gr rounds thought it to loosen up the spring. People report shooting as few as 250 124gr rounds to as many as 500 to loosen the spring up.

2nd fix is to contact Glock they will be more then happy to send you out a new recoil spring.

My personally opinion on the Glock G17 Gen 4 is I would not trade it in for a Gen 3. I like the back strap system on the Gen4s and I like the recoil spring on my Gen4. I know the 9mm doesn't have much recoil to start with but with the recoil spring its not much worse then my 22cal.

As far as ammo goes do your self a favor skip any 115gr walmart ammo you see and get some 124gr. Especially federal stuff is horrible I have had several rounds that felt like pop caps there a small bang. Winchester White Box and Remington are just as bad lately.

I hope this helps

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:46 am

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

The ammo recommendations seem to be a good solution for breaking in a stiff recoil spring set. Another may be to store the pistol with the slide locked open for a while to help take the stiffness out of the spring set. Kind of like stuffing a new ball mitt under the mattress with a baseball in the pocket to help form fit it.

R,
Bullseye

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 am

Thank you for the good explanations and for taking the time to post.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:54 am

Here's a youtube video of the basic differences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jb5xX7pe_0

Haka

CoastieN70

Post by CoastieN70 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Hakaman

The Glocks in the vid link you provided are Both Gen 3's but one with the Rough Textured Finish (RTF) that Glock tried out a couple of years ago and didn't catch on.

The Gen4's have a different RTF (less aggressive) and a whole lot more user friendly...

hotroderx

Post by hotroderx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Bullseye wrote:Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

The ammo recommendations seem to be a good solution for breaking in a stiff recoil spring set. Another may be to store the pistol with the slide locked open for a while to help take the stiffness out of the spring set. Kind of like stuffing a new ball mitt under the mattress with a baseball in the pocket to help form fit it.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks seems like a great forum love all the talk about the Ruger Rimfires.

I have heard the method about leaving it locked open I have no clue why I didn't think to mention it. You can also rack the slide a few thousand times I have heard it will help loosen the recoil spring. I wouldn't recommend ti thought cause I would think that would cause frame wear.

radio wrote:Thank you for the good explanations and for taking the time to post.
No problem I know there has been a lot of negative reviews on the Gen4 G17/19's. I guess some people just cant wrap there head around the fact they might have to break in there new Glock..... Something else to add is give the original glock trigger a chance to break in. I have shoot around 2k rounds thought mine and I gotta admit the trigger went from awful to now its smooth. I wouldn't screw with the trigger pull anyway since a Glock is all passive safety systems.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 pm

less aggressive grips, recoil spring issues that are apparently non-issues, a trigger that gets better with time without replacement

so far sounds like the gen 4 model 19 is the gun for me

thanks again

hotroderx

Post by hotroderx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 pm

yea the RTF 2 grips would rub holes in peoples shirts the new RTF 3 aka Gen4 is much less aggressive. Personally held a Gen 3 RTF 2 40cal and there is no way I fire it. The recoil would be liable to tear the skin off your hand.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Well I bought the new G19 yesterday. I've yet to fire it, but I did spend "2 episodes of Sons of Guns" last night getting the feel of it. I had gotten rid of all of my centerfire semis and haven't had one in over a year--looking forward to sending several downrange with this one.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Do any of you guys know if Glock plans on producing Gen 4 G-27s, and if so do they plan to distribute them in the USA?

randyr5

Post by randyr5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 am

Georgezilla wrote:Do any of you guys know if Glock plans on producing Gen 4 G-27s, and if so do they plan to distribute them in the USA?
Gen 4 G27's are already available for purchase.
Randy
=IF DOGS DON'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 am

randyr5 wrote:
Georgezilla wrote:Do any of you guys know if Glock plans on producing Gen 4 G-27s, and if so do they plan to distribute them in the USA?
Gen 4 G27's are already available for purchase.
Yes, I want to go where dogs go too, my pal Bear wants me there.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.