Help with Cheap 1911

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

hotroderx

Help with Cheap 1911

Post by hotroderx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Would like some opinions. I am in the market for a 1911A1 looking for basic don't need fancy I am still new to guns. I was originally looking for a Rocky Island Tactical but cant find one. I did find out about Citadel I can get one for 434 out the door. Can anyone give me any input. Should I go with Citadel or save up and get the Springfield. I am looking at a GI model I don't want to terribly fancy.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I like my Citadel a lot.
it came with the features I wanted and didn't have ones I dislike.
Example: I need the beavertail for my big hands, but an ambition safety is a problem for EDC in my selected holster (supertuck)

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 am

Have you ever considered a Taurus PT1911 ? I have one,
and it suits me just fine. I think all 1911's are built so they
can interchange parts. In other words, a Taurus might not
be very much different then other basic 1911's.
Haka

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Taurus guns are not as interchangeable as most 1911 clones, actually.
I forget the exact differences, but some parts do not interchange without major work.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:58 pm

The $400 Armscor 1911's (Citadel, RIA, etc) are fairly good buys. I know a few folks who, like Dave, haven't been disappointed with them as basic, pretty dependable 1911's. The lower priced ones have the GI sights which are a bit small and difficult for my aging eyes.

Haka is right about checking out the Taurus PT1911B. If you change parts, there may be some fitting, but the only really difficult part I recall is the rear sight, because of the dove tail cut. I've had a Taurus for a while and, except for the grips, really haven't found much I want to change.

You also might want to look at the Springfield GI or Mil-Spec.

However, for a basic 1911, $434 OTD ain't bad.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I just shot my Taurus this weekend, shoots like a charm. When you have a 1911 in your hand, or my Beretta M9, the steel frame lets you know you have a solid gun in your hand. The "Citadel I can get one for 434 out the door", also seems like a great buy. If I had to watch what I spend, I would feel confident on getting a Taurus. Good luck,
Haka

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Help with Cheap 1911

Post by Baldy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 pm

hotroderx wrote:Would like some opinions. I am in the market for a 1911A1 looking for basic don't need fancy I am still new to guns. I was originally looking for a Rocky Island Tactical but cant find one. I did find out about Citadel I can get one for 434 out the door. Can anyone give me any input. Should I go with Citadel or save up and get the Springfield. I am looking at a GI model I don't want to terribly fancy.

That's a very good price around here for one. Most are going for $480.00 up. I have had fair luck with RIA's after a tune up they seem to run good for a long while. :)

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

RIA 1911 as a first

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 pm

My son-in-law / shooting partner got a Rock Island Arms 1911 as his first handgun. It is as basic a 1911 as you will find. The steel frame and no frills design make it an accurate shooter and sturdy as one could ask. We took it to the range last Saturday. The range officer (Gunny Harrelson - USMC ret.) said it had a strong resemblance to his old service pistol. The only drawback is that it has iron sights.. not fancy but ya' need good eyes to line 'em up.
Good luck with your choice.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm

I've got a mil-spec springfield that is quite nice..... and for about $100 more that the citidel/ria. can't say its $100 better but It has been good for me. i think the next step dow in orice for SA is the GI which is a WWII style 45 with better sights I think.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne