Ruger 1911 ???????

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Well I'll be damned, that doesn't look too bad. I'll assume that a stainless version is the beginning of a larger and more diverse offering, all I see that they added is a "peek" type LCI, which I don't have a problem with, really.

They're including a nice padlock again <snicker> so you can lock up your bike while you go shooting <snicker>.

I don't see a silly left-side safety, I don't see an ILS, I don't see a mechanical LCI, I don't see an awful billboard (maybe a little one under the dustcover?), I don't see a FLGR or FSS, they claim "series 70" fire control with a titanium FP, so they took the "light FP" approach to increasing drop-safety, I guess.

... ... All ribbing on Ruger aside, if they make a compact/officer's model or CCO I'd probably pick one up. I'd surely pick one up if they made a competitively priced Parkerized CCO with those features (nice sights, peek LCI, memory bump and beavertail, no ambi safety or other unwanted junk)

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 pm

The website isn't showing the left side. All the rollmark warnings must be there........ :alex:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm

ruger22 wrote:The website isn't showing the left side. All the rollmark warnings must be there........ :alex:
Ther is a fold out section with several pages of safety instructiions on the laft side, I believe.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

"Yuk it, fuzzball!" Han Solo to Chewbakka

Post by Coach1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Hahaha! OM, that is really funny. Will have to remember that line.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Ruger just impressed me. I thought for sure they would include a mag safety and an ILS. Based on their track record, I am impressed that they left these devices out. I also don't mind LCIs when unobtrusive like a peep hole, but when its a giant silver bar on a black pistol like the LC9s LCI, it is a bit much (especially considering the pistol was designed for concealed carry).

In addition to making a non-CA firearm, the pistol looks awesome. If memory serves, it is also around $100 cheaper than similar SA and Kimbers.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:14 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
ruger22 wrote:The website isn't showing the left side. All the rollmark warnings must be there........ :alex:
Ther is a fold out section with several pages of safety instructiions on the laft side, I believe.
They appear to just be under the dustcover.
No word on the looped audio warning, though.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
The new and improved model will be able to transmit audio/video to your Iphone or Blackberry or whatever.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:53 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bigfatdave wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Ther is a fold out section with several pages of safety instructiions on the laft side, I believe.
The new and improved model will be able to transmit audio/video to your Iphone or Blackberry or whatever.
Good, my cell phone will tell me if the pistol is loaded. AND it will also notify the Michigan State Police
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/04/18/m ... fic-stops/

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 am

greener wrote: Good, my cell phone will tell me if the pistol is loaded. AND it will also notify the Michigan State Police
I have not seen that one yet on the road...... more than likely its only used pursuant to a search warrant.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote: Good, my cell phone will tell me if the pistol is loaded. AND it will also notify the Michigan State Police
I have not seen that one yet on the road...... more than likely its only used pursuant to a search warrant.....
If the ACLU has $544,000, MSP will answer the FOIA request.
A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

“Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags,” a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device’s capabilities. “The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps.”
However, knowing Ruger, the loaded indicator will be an ugly bar that sticks up 1/4" when a round is chambered, like the SR9.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 am

I broke down and read the instruction manual. Looks like a nice entry into that market. And they borrowed the S&W peep hole for loaded chamber indicator.

Thanks for the "bicycle lock" comment Dave. Absolutely on target.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 am

greener wrote:
CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.
What kind of booger-eating-moron gives up their phone to the police during a traffic stop? Why even say anything about having a phone in the first place?

And what's my liability if my "phone" explodinates their little Orwellian gadget, anyway?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 am

BFD,
All sorts of 4th amendment protections on your cell phone, just like your PC. MSP could not use that on just any phone on any traffic stop they would need Probable Cause AND consent or a search warrant...

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 am

and to get back on topic..... I like the new ruger sr1911 the loaded chamber peep hole is just like the one on my Springfield...

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

If you click on the "features" tab of the website you can see the left side of the pistol with the warning stamped on the underside of the dust cover, in front of the trigger guard. I also see the loaded chamber relief cut (ala Springfield Armory) on the rear end of the barrel hood. Other than that the Ruger 1911 Model is a Series 70 version which should be compatible with current aftermarket parts. Some nice features included, beavertail grip safety, dovetailed front sight, Novak rear sight, checked flat mainspring housing, and the mag release looks slightly extended. A checkered front strap would have been a nice additional feature.

R,
Bullseye