Kimber Pro Carry

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:13 am

I shot a Glock 30 and the grip was so bad it hurt. Even my shooting partner who wears shooting gloves said that it hurt his hand.

As for price it's not a big issue, if you have priced what I'm carrying now. My Sig is a Plane Jane Elite model and they sell in the price range as the Kimber.

The Colt and S&W are on my list of guns to test fire, too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

CoastieN70

Post by CoastieN70 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm a lifelong 1911 shooter and a Kimber shooter for the last 10+ years. I have carried a Pro size Kimber for most of those 10+ years.

I carry mostly inside the waistband with a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster and a Beltman.net belt. (I threw this in mainly for wolfflatwin but all should heed) The belt is the most important component of your carry system, the best holster in the world is mediocre without the proper support There are several holster makers that make a good version of the VMII but I bought mine 6 years ago when the choices were limited. The new "Hybred" holsters are very good (Crossbreed, Galco V-Max, etc) and reasonable priced.

As to a Kimber hammer falling from half cock, it's broke, don't buy it.

There's a lot of Kimber bashers out there, I speak from experiance, they work and are a good value for the dollar. In the 10+ years I've been shooting them I have had ZERO malfunctions.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm

I vote for the Kimbers too. We have two and they both have run flawlessly for many years now. If you are wanting a carry pistol in .45ACP there is none better than a Ultra CDP II.. The only thing I ever did to this one is replace the recoil spring a couple of times. Just normal maintenance.

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 am

blue68f100 wrote:I looked at 5 different 1911 carry size guns. 4 Kimber, 1 Colt. Only one of the Kimber did this and the Colt did it. Even the guy behind the counter thought it was not right, since none of the other Kimber's did this. None of the 1911's I've been around have never done this. Now I know that the hammer drop from 1/2 cock should not set off a round. But I know never to try to lower the hammer with a live round in the chamber. A slip and AD. If a SAO gun is in Condition 1, there is no safe way to lower the hammer and why would you. DA/SA guns have a decocker.

Maybe the Mr. Bullseye knows something about this....
My Kimber Target II doesn't but the 1911 Colt Combat Commander O series does. I packed it up to return then decided to read the instruction manual. Yep, normal on the Colt and takes up a whole page addressing the trait. FWIW,both acquired new.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 13, 2011 6:46 am

Welcome Snuffy!

Is that Commander a Series 80? I couldn't tell by your posting.

R,
Bullseye

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm more into revolver rather than automatics but the fit and finish of this particular XSE Series Commander caught my fancy along w/another, 1991 Series in the case. The 'smith is a longtime friend (like >30yrs ~ we learned to tolerate each other) and he recommended the XSE (04012XSE) which he referred to as Series O as having greater flexibility for upgrades than the 1991. They both looked well make and new Colts are a scarce commodity in my area.

In looking at it, the firing pin stop seems to be like the series 80. The Instruction Manual referred to says it covers the MK IV/Series 80 and 90 Pistols: "Gov't Model, M1991A Models, Combat Target, Colt rail Gun, Combat Commander, Commander (lite/wgt), New Agent, Combat Elite, Delta Elite, Officer's ACP and Colt Defender".

On page 17, under 'Safety Stop on Hammer' section is the discussion on the hammer dropping w/pull of trigger as being normal/expected and safe. There is an italicized cautionary The Safety Stop is not a manual safety and should not be engaged by hand. There's no exclusionary comment to models mentioned so one is to think it applies to all the models covered by this manual.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 am

That's why the hammer's drop from half-cock is normal. I mentioned earlier, in one of my posts that the Colt Series 80 and later will drop from half-cock and this is normal operation. It is the Series 70 Colt's where this is not a safe condition.

R,
Bullseye