Kimber Pro Carry

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Kimber Pro Carry

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:01 pm

I have a itch for a new carry gun and would like feed back on the Kimber Pro Carry II, Solo Super Carry and Ultra Carry II

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/compa ... o-carry-ii
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/crimson-carry-ii
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super-carry
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ultra-carry-ii

Since I have small hands this feels real good in my hands and will test fire one the next time I go to the range. I like the compact size. Not sure the specs are right since the SS and Allow frame have the same weight. Just wanting feedback. The LGS had 4 different models of this Ultra and Pro Carry. But one of the guns acted like something was not right. When you squeezed the trigger with the hammer 1/2 cocked the hammer dropped. I Don't think this is normal and just want to confirm.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 pm

YDon't know much about Kimbers but here are my ttwo normal carry guns, the Micro with a 3 inch barrel at 2 punds even loaded or the V-10, a 3.5 barrel at 2-1/2 pounds. Both are SA gunbs.Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 03, 2011 9:24 pm

When you squeezed the trigger with the hammer 1/2 cocked the hammer dropped. I Don't think this is normal and just want to confirm.
Doesn't drop from half cock on my Taurus, but drops on the two I replaced sear/hammer/disconnector. They don't drop when the grip safety isn't depressed.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm

I looked at 5 different 1911 carry size guns. 4 Kimber, 1 Colt. Only one of the Kimber did this and the Colt did it. Even the guy behind the counter thought it was not right, since none of the other Kimber's did this. None of the 1911's I've been around have never done this. Now I know that the hammer drop from 1/2 cock should not set off a round. But I know never to try to lower the hammer with a live round in the chamber. A slip and AD. If a SAO gun is in Condition 1, there is no safe way to lower the hammer and why would you. DA/SA guns have a decocker.

Maybe the Mr. Bullseye knows something about this....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 am

The hammer should not be capable of dropping from half-cock by squeezing the trigger. There may be a problem with the engagement. Some of the older hammers (Series 70) actually have a hook where the half-cock notch is to capture the sear and prevent an accidental discharge. There are some custom sears that will allow the hammer to drop from the half-cock notch because they have a positive engagement angle on the secondary shelf. But a production gun like the Kimber should not have this type of sear installed.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 am

Heave to try that on ,y SA's, have the 2 carry guns plus an A1 Loaded. Don't think I have ever put any of them on half cock, really see no need to do that. My guns are normally carried cocked and locked and ready to rack, as this is the safest way to carry a 1911. Either that or they are empty with the hammer down and in the safe.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

wolfflatwin

Post by wolfflatwin » Wed May 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry. It is a great gun but it is quite heavy. If I wear it on my hip, it pulls my trousers down. So most of the time, I carry in a shoulder holster. Unless you have the luxury of wearing a robe or a jacket to work, you might be better off with a smaller, lighter handgun.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm

It couldn't be much heavier than my Citadel ... what belt/holster are you using?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm carrying a Sig 229 - 9mm in the 3:00 position right now with no problem. I have a good heavy gun belt and a hybrid hydex/leather holster.

I'm looking at all the carry and compact 45, the one I looked at shaves off a 1/2 lb from what I'm currently carrying. I've test fired a Glock and eliminated it because the grip was not comfortable at all. Even my shooting partner with his shooting gloves said it was un-comfortable.
David

Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Kimber Solo review

Post by Coach1 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm

For what it's worth... The June / July issue of HANDGUNS magazine (Guns & Ammo pub) has a review of the Kimber Solo 9mm by Greg Rodriquez. He says, "Its excellent ergonomics, brilliant sights, and phenomenal trigger make the mini Kimber a joy to shoot... (the) short barrel and 17 ounce weight make it a joy to carry, too"

My son in law has a Kimber Pro Carry II, ss, 45 cal. It is a really nice gun, easily manages the recoil, the trigger is nearly perfect and it shoots where you aim. Even with the 4 inch barrel it is 28 ounces (empty). It would be a great carry gun but you will know it is there at the end of a long day. (The takedown for cleaning is a little unusual since there is no barrel bushing.)
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the feed back. My next range trip in a couple of week I will try to shoot the one of them and see what the recoil is like. The grip was very comfortable in my hands and that's 1/2 the battle. All of the trigger spec out at 4-5Lbs from Kimber which is inline to with my current gun.
David

Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Blue,
its hard to beat the Sig p229 for shootability...... I've got an older p226 thats my favorite duty style gun to shoot, the thing is just smooth and accurate.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 pm

The older Sigs are much smoother than the one I have even after Bruce Gray of Grayguns smoothed it up. I have shot quite a few of the older guns and they are very nice. The MIM parts they use today can be a hit and miss on getting a good trigger.
David

Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Blue, did you look at the tupperware compact .45's like the M&P45c or the Glock 30? They are a bit lighter and a tad less pricey than the Kimber.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:09 am

I really like the m&p45c it is nice....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne