Holster for my New Kimber

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Holster for my New Kimber

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I have finally finished the holster for my Kimber SS Ultra TLE II. I did not try to do the fine detail print. I discovered on my holster for the 229 that it made the gun very difficult to draw. The Hydex outer shell is lined with pigskin so it will be quiet, and minimize wear. The leather backing also has the pigskin backing for the moisture barrier. This has worked very well over the years. No unnecessary holes for water to get to the leather front. The leather has stayed dry while I have been ringing wet in sweat. This holster was quite easy to make. The outer shell is 0.090" thick Hydex. I used only a heat gun to do the molding. In the past I had used a vacuum press to do the molding. A lot more work than is needed. I may try to make a compact holster all out of Hydex later on.

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Very impressive, the professional look to it. I hope it works well for you.
Be safe,
Haka

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Looks pretty good to me! I assume your sizing/spacing is to fit your pants and belt loops?

What's the snap on the forward clip for?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:16 pm

What's the snap on the forward clip for?
Everybody knows what that snap is for ! It's the post for a 1 way mil snap.
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 pm

It's the post for a 1 way mil snap, I use to hang my key chain on. Hanging my keys off the loop disguises what the loop is for. I got a picture of it some where, I will post a picture of it. I make/made key rings sets using these snap to hang keys off of the belt saving pockets from the large keys and remotes.

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 am

blue68f100 wrote:It's the post for a 1 way mil snap, I use to hang my key chain on. Hanging my keys off the loop disguises what the loop is for. I got a picture of it some where, I will post a picture of it. I make/made key rings sets using these snap to hang keys off of the belt saving pockets from the large keys and remotes.
Good idea! I hadn't got any further than contemplating a little sleeve made for the clips to simulate belt-loops (I get most of my pants un-hemmed and have a local seamstress hem them to the perfect length, so the material exists already)

I think your idea is a lot more elegant, and it serves an actual purpose, too.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 am

I figured the keyring would be a non issue if someone saw something on my belt. The Mag case just looks like a multitool case, so no response out of it unless I'm wearing the one that I laced. I find its the young kids who ask the questions. I have yet had anyone ask what the black clips are. But I do not tuck my shirt tail in either. I do not work so if I need to make it tuckable I can just leave it a baggy around the waist. The attention is called to the key ring.

This 45acp Kimber is 8oz lighter than my Sig 229. I'm really liking that.

Adding material to make them look like belt loops is a good idea. Or you could go the more hidden C clips which goes between the pants and belt. I started to make some of them up but they are a little tricky to do.

I started using these mil spec snaps 11 yrs ago and then they were around $2/snap wholesale. Now there up to over $4/pr. The bad thing is that they took special dies to set them which cost another ~$200 back then. I have yet had a snap come off in over 11 yrs. These work very good so I keep using them. I gave the guys where I worked these key rings because we had to carry so may keys they would not fit in the pocket. They all loved them.

I have quite a collection of small items that I use to make up for gift ideas. Then I had one customer that would order over 20 of every thing. Which was good except some of the items he ordered would take me 3 hr to make start to finish due to lace work. Then he would want every thing monogrammed which means I could not make them up ahead of time. Luckily he gave me a month to get them ready.
David

Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Good looking holster you got made up there Dave. I never did have that kind of talent. I always admired guys who could get the job done... Good luck with that new pistol... :D