walther p99qa 9mm

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

walther p99qa 9mm

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I shot a Walther p99QA 9mm (full size 9mm with a "safe action" type trigger) the other day at the range and was very impressed.

I own a Smith and Walther sw99 40s&w that I bought 11 years ago and I ove that gun. the grip feels good in the hand and a decent TDA type trigger.

the Walther p99 QA has an excellent for the type (plastic gun) trigger feels like a long single action, excellent ergo's on the grip so it points nicely and nestles right into your hand likr it belongs there. put a mag downrange at 10 yards and all rounds were pretty much touching. verry impressed with the quality of the pistol.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 am

Walther has a pretty good reputation for putting together a fine firearm.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Everyone I ever shot felt real good. I like them a bunch, and if I ever get over this .22/.45 kick I am on I may get one... :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Bullseye wrote:Walther has a pretty good reputation for putting together a fine firearm.

R,
Bullseye
Walther P22?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 pm

greener wrote:
Bullseye wrote:Walther has a pretty good reputation for putting together a fine firearm.

R,
Bullseye
Walther P22?
thats umarex :shock:

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote:

R,
Bullseye
Walther P22?
OK, if you say so. That's the one with "Walther" on the slide and a 3/4 scale P99

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:21 am

greener wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:
greener wrote: Walther P22?
OK, if you say so. That's the one with "Walther" on the slide and a 3/4 scale P99
Umarex is an airgun/blank/prop gun/airsoft company. Somehow they bought out Walther and then they started making stuff that had Walther design/ergonomics and the Walther banner ... in their facilities. The P22, for instance, is a beefed-up blank pistol built to resemble the P99 - I use one as a trainer for my PPS, the controls and ergonomics are similar enough, but with a dirty gun and crappy ammo the P22 will do something the PPS generally won't, malfunction regularly. So I get cheap malfunction-clearing training, and point-shooting practice, and mag changes with a slightly harder to activate mag release flipper.

To further complicate things, Umarex joint venture products are marketed and imported by other companies in the US, for Walther, that means S&W. And as an even further complication, S&W has gained a license to manufacture their rendition of the PPK here.

If you want a REAL Walther, you can get an older imported PPK / PP / PPKs / P.38 / P.1 / P88 / etc ... or you can get a P99 / PPQ / PPS ... look for the city of Ulm as the sole origin of the pistol for recent production guns.

And as long as Walther makes pistols that fit my hand, they're top pick for my personal blasters - someone over there in their design and R&D department has my hands, or something ... every Walther pistol or copy of a Walther pistol feels like it was designed for me personally when I pick it up, and I really like the flipper mag release concept for a practical gun, as it is damn-near impossible to activate while in the holster but incredibly easy to use when the gun is in either hand.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:16 am

Just tweaking bgreene a bit, BFD. I bought a P22 several years ago. At 600 rounds it went back to S&W because the trigger bar ears were shaving the slide. (Looked more like someone with a dremel after 4 cups of extra strong coffee). S&W replaced the barrel but said that the slide wear was normal. I then did the polishing routine found in the P22 bible and on RFC. I never did the mag fix mine needed, so it quite often decides not to feed the second round in the mag. I also never fixed the extractor so it still throws hot casings back into your face. Fun gun to shoot and I could get really excited about an occasional good group. It doesn't seem to mind being dirty.

I've fired bgreene's PPK and P99. Like both although it took me a few tries to get my accuracy down with the P99. Walther makes excellent firearms.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 am

volquartsen makes a better extractor, if I remember right it took less than 5 minutes to install

Worth the money, particularly if you're ordering something else at the same time. VQ of course has it, I think Midway does as well and I'd bet other retailers stock it as well, the P22 is, after all, Walther's best selling gun in the US.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I would like to see a pp in 22lr.... with better sights..... that would be fun

that p22 is darn fun to shoot even with all its issues.

-John Wayne