Double Nine .. Reblue or ?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

lostinthe50's

Double Nine .. Reblue or ?

Post by lostinthe50's » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 am

Hello all,
I did not see my post so I am trying again. I am a new member and I probably did something wrong. :?

I have a Hi Standard Double Nine revolver I bought new in about 1958. I is in very good condition mechanically but has a little holster wear on the blueing. The gun is my avatar. I have a problem with getting a new blue job because this model had the aluminum frame in a dull, flat black finish.

I need some ideas from experienced shooters/gunsmiths, etc ...... as to what my options would be to refurbish this gun to change that look of flat black and blued steel. I saw a place that would Duracoat (paint), in blue steel and clear coat but that would be my LAST resort. Has anyone had that blue steel paint job done?

Can I have something done to give the aluminum frame a look of case hardening?
(A look of .... not the actual process).
I know someone out there has a good suggestion. Go for it guys!

Thanks in advance.
Indy Bob says: A so-so day at the range is still better than a great day at the office.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 am

Welcome to GunTalk-Online.

I'm not much of a revolver person but we have plenty of folks here who are.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

I have heard good things on duracoat so don't discount that as a "last resort".

Birchwood casey has an aluminum black that can touch up your holster wear I do believe.

Personally I believe honest wear on a firearm gives it personality and characer.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Birchwood casey has an aluminum black that can touch up your holster wear I do believe.
If it were mine I wouldn't refinish it. You describe it as "a little holster wear". The High Standard is a classic.

Birchwood Casey Super Blue does a good job on touchup for blued steel. Their Aluminum Black is iffy. Some things it does black, others turn out gray. I understand it depends on the alloy, how hard and / or porous it is.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Welcome to GTO,

I would not look at refinishing a gun that is being used. Holster wear give them character and does not take away form the value like a refinish can. Here is a link to a company that does first class work http://www.customizedcreationz.com/home.html If I was to refinish an Al frame gun I would go with one of the Hard anodize finishes. These are extremely durable and resist wear better than most coatings.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Looking at the situation from a "buyers" point of view, I would think it would be more valuable in the state it is in, not a duracoat or re-bluing. Gun collectors I know don't alter the condition of a firearm because that's not what collectors like. Your gun has "history" in the present state.
JMO, Haka

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 pm

For some, I like the well-worn "with character" look. However, I've seen a few well-redone revolvers that are very nice.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:30 pm

That's a good little revolver you have there and if it were mine I would shoot it and enjoy it. Let the kids worry about refinishing it. :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.. :)

lostinthe50's

Thanks to all ........

Post by lostinthe50's » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:54 am

I want to thank all of you for your information and your advice. I do believe I will leave this weapon just as it is. Many of you made that point clear. I had many, many wonderful shooting sessions with this firearm. I bought this gun at about 18 yrs old, and I am 70 now. I purchased 2 cartons of ammo, (1000 rounds), and it was gone within one week. I used to shoot at an old abandoned quarry. Note: All good things come to an end. Interstate 55 was built and went right through were this quarry sat. :cry:

A guy can learn a lot on a forum such as this. I belonged to RC Universe forum for years. I learned a lot from other radio controlled pilots and builders.
I am not a new-comer to shooting and firearms ...... BUT.... no matter how much we think we know, there are many out on these forums that know a lot more! :wink:
Indy Bob says: A so-so day at the range is still better than a great day at the office.