Glock gen 4 slide finish

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:10 pm

jimjc wrote:The Gen 4`s do not have the Tennifer finish, Glock has changed the finish to another which the name escapes me at the moment. The new finish is said to be a bit blotchy by some, I have Gen 4 17 and mine is even so I don`t have what some are experiencing. The new finish is said to be as good as the old, it`s just a different process that's more environmentally friendly.
Jim, Tenifer and other similar metal treatments are chemical processes that case harden the metal, it could be a finish by definition, but Glock applies the metal treatment to case harden, and then really finishes their pistols with the phosphate parkerizing finish. After I learned of the distinction between the metal treatment and the finish, I was only concerned with the park finish being applied improperly.

Also, Tenifer treatment is a liquid nitrocarburizing process that is branded under several names including Tenifer, Melonite, Tufftride, and there are also almost identical processes that are done under even more names. You may have seen one of these names and thought the metal treatment was different, or you may be correct and they may use a totally different process, but I'd have to be convinced of this. I have seen that whole thing on the internet regarding Tenifer violating EPA regulations, but I have not seen any sources directly from the EPA regarding it, so unless we hear that from the EPA or Glock, there is really no way of knowing (again, I could be convinced). Furthur adding to the confusion is that the SA XD has the Melonite coating, which is exactly the same as Tenifer, and if I understand things correctly SA does produce their XD slides here in the USA (frames in Brazil). I digress :P

Haka, I can relate with your friend... I also tend to analyze every detail. I have basically come to accept the imperfect finish at this point.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Haka, I can relate with your friend... I also tend to analyze every detail. I have basically come to accept the imperfect finish at this point.
Helps one keep his sanity.

jimjc

Post by jimjc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:36 am

Georgezilla wrote:
jimjc wrote:The Gen 4`s do not have the Tennifer finish, Glock has changed the finish to another which the name escapes me at the moment. The new finish is said to be a bit blotchy by some, I have Gen 4 17 and mine is even so I don`t have what some are experiencing. The new finish is said to be as good as the old, it`s just a different process that's more environmentally friendly.
Jim, Tenifer and other similar metal treatments are chemical processes that case harden the metal, it could be a finish by definition, but Glock applies the metal treatment to case harden, and then really finishes their pistols with the phosphate parkerizing finish. After I learned of the distinction between the metal treatment and the finish, I was only concerned with the park finish being applied improperly.

Also, Tenifer treatment is a liquid nitrocarburizing process that is branded under several names including Tenifer, Melonite, Tufftride, and there are also almost identical processes that are done under even more names. You may have seen one of these names and thought the metal treatment was different, or you may be correct and they may use a totally different process, but I'd have to be convinced of this. I have seen that whole thing on the internet regarding Tenifer violating EPA regulations, but I have not seen any sources directly from the EPA regarding it, so unless we hear that from the EPA or Glock, there is really no way of knowing (again, I could be convinced). Furthur adding to the confusion is that the SA XD has the Melonite coating, which is exactly the same as Tenifer, and if I understand things correctly SA does produce their XD slides here in the USA (frames in Brazil). I digress :P

Sorry for the late reply [ in the middle of remodeling 3 bathrooms :shock: ]
I did know Tenifer was a metal hardening process...I used finish as a pejorative...Anyway there was a big controversy and a lot of talk over on the Glock forums relating to Glock not using the Tenifer process on Gen 4`s...in fact on Glocks web site Glock has removed the word Tenifer for the description. Many thought Glock to be disingenuous by not informing the public when changing the process and still using the word Tenifer when describing the Gen4...Now I`m not saying the new process is in anyway inferior to the Tenifer process...because I don`t know but Glock is no longer using the Tenifer process on the Gen 4 `s and has finally removed the word on their website..

I think many associated the blotchy finish on some Gen4`s as being inferior to the previous finish Glock used when in reality it`s the topcoat thats has a problem..

An interesting side note is this blotchy finish is coming up on other guns also the Walther PPQ has had many people POed about the same blotchy finish and I`m hearing Smith&Wesson isn`t doing anything about it..there are some very upset people..