LC9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:33 am

Bullseye wrote:Either that chamber's loaded or you've got mail ready for pick-up. :D

R,
Bullseye
The LCI spring holds down the firing pin retainer. So, it looks like you are stuck with at least part of the LCI. You do get to remove the LCI to remove the firing pin. There was a rumor that you had to remove the rear sight.

Ruger's desire to prevent users from disabling a safety device is quite impressive.

The LC9 also comes with a mag disconnect. Looks like that is an interesting bit of disassembly to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqLxK-6 ... re=related

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Removed the firing pin and found enough metal shavings to make my hand sparkle. Cleaned the channel and the pin by blasting both ways with Remoil. Put it back together and the ball point pen function check sailed the pin about 4 feet.

Looks like Ruger could improve assembly procedures and QC procedures on this one. Another week to see if it works.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Metal shavings would add enough friction to cause the problems you experienced - good job!

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Cheers from Coach

Post by Coach1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Greener,
I have been following this thread with interest. You got some great ideas from the forum gurus. I love the fact that you were willing to chase this problem down rather than simply ship the gun to Ruger. You may yet find that there is a mfg error that requires a trip to the factory but, if so, you have a lot of detective work to send along with the gun.

Good luck on your live fire test. As long as the metal bits were machining debris.. all should be good (well except for your research time and frustration). We trust that the shavings are not created by the pistol itself.

As always, keep us posted.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Looks like Ruger could improve assembly procedures and QC procedures on this one. Another week to see if it works.
I think I posted in this thread about another individual that has similar issues
with his LC9. He's pretty hard headed and won't listen to advice, but nonetheless,
it must be common with this gun. My suggestion, buy a kahr cw9
and enjoy.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:10 pm

My suggestion, buy a kahr cw9
and enjoy.
I'm not sure why I didn't buy a Kahr, guess I wanted a Ruger.

Coach:

Thanks, all I did was do a bit of research and do what seemed reasonable.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm not sure why I didn't buy a Kahr, guess I wanted a Ruger.
It's all good, as they say, just thought I'd stir the pot a little.
I really don't have the experience to judge which is better. I do own another
Ruger, and like it, but I also like my Kahr. With all the people out there buying
guns since Obuma has been in office, it seems like every gun manf is putting out
new models very quickly. It makes me wonder how well these guns have been
proven reliable, and the qa/qc?
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:01 am

The kahr Cw series are nice pistols, my friend has a cw 40 that she loves, she picks racoons off her bird feeder out the kitchen window at times.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Took the cleaned up LC9 to the range. No problems with firing for about 90 rounds, then click, click, click. Light strikes were back and consecutive. Rounds that didn't fire are at the top.

Target is at 7 yards. Today we fired high.

Cleaned it tonight and more metal shavings washed out. Couldn't find a pipe cleaner to clean the channel and cleared what appeared to be a blockage with a small wire.

I'm getting better than I want to be at removing the firing pin from this thing.

You can't run out at 9 PM and find anyone who (a) has pipe cleaners and (b) knows what a pipe or pipe cleaner is.

One more try and I start talking to Ruger

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Good shooting Mr Greener, especially for a SD gun !

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 am

greener wrote:
Theres your problem.... Revolver rounds out of your lc9......[/i][/list]
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:31 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
Theres your problem.... Revolver rounds out of your lc9......[/i][/list]
You just have to push on the slide, hard, to fire .357. They do shoot a tad high. :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:54 am

I just emailed Ruger CS regarding this. I don't think this pistol was designed to require firing pin removal and cleaning every time you shoot it. If it was, then I wouldn't let the guys who did the design, do another one without strict adult supervision.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 am

Sorry to hear your still having problems, but contacting Ruger is probably the right thing to do right now. Metal shavings indicate that something is definitely wrong.

As for pipe cleaners, your probably right the younger generation probably has no clue to what one is. But they probably used them in art class to make stick figures.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Sunday I used the email form on the Ruger site to describe my problem. Yesterday I got an email saying to send it to them and they would send me a prepaid mailer, but no mailer attached. Contacting Ruger to get the mailer hasn't been a great success. So far Ruger's CS is behind Taurus.