LC9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Sent out on 9/8 and returned 9/26. The paper that came with it had a cryptic comment about repairing the slide and they fired 35 rounds without problem. The last time I fired it it stopped around 90, so, we'll see if they fixed it this weekend.

I thought the turnaround was pretty good.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 am

Hope they got it fixed for you greener. Nothing worse than a weapon that will not function reliably. Please keep us posted.
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Range time with my reloads and WWB, today. Light strike on round 14. 5 light strikes in 35 rounds, two with WWB. Last time I sent it to Ruger I had cleaned the FP channel. This time I'm sending it dirty so they can evaluate.

I'm a bit disappointed. Wonder if Ruger would trade it for an SP101.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Ruger's response to email was pretty quick. Another trip to Prescott. Wonder if the pistol gets frequent flyer points.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 am

I was wondering what was happening with this pistol.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

You must have got a lemon with that one. Not exactly what you would want with a SD gun.........
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Makes an interesting paper weight or desk conversation piece.

The instructions tell you that you can't ship through a UPS store and haven't tested it. So, 50 mile round trip to the service center. Traffic jam for road work on I95. Got there while the customer service folks were at lunch? At least we stood around for a bit at an empty counter. Slow moving coal train on the way out. Took well over an hour. I had a few unkind and ungentlemanly thoughts about Sturm Ruger.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 pm

I know that it is tough after experiencing all that in one day but it is not really Ruger's fault where you are located. I would also submit that it is not their fault for the current government restrictions on transporting firearms back for repair and maintaining a consistent chain of custody. True that their product's failure is causing all this grief but how different would your feelings be on this subject if you happened to live very near to the UPS service center?

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 am

I am sympathetic towards your situation, Greener. I recently (well, in August, and they still have it...) had to ship a pistol to Ruger. I was also not aware that UPS would not ship firearms at their satellite stores, lucky I called before walking in with it. On top of that, where I live, the UPS main store phone number is top secret, and the only way to come onto the compound of the main store is to call the top secret phone number that is not listed in the phone book, internet, and all the employees have sworn an oath not to distribute it. The pistol I needed to ship had to be shipped FedEx for nearly $80.

Bullseye brings up a good point, but considering you are sending the pistol back due to the same issue, I think Ruger would be wise to keep a long time customer happy by atleast paying the shipping fee.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 am

Bullseye wrote:I know that it is tough after experiencing all that in one day but it is not really Ruger's fault where you are located. I would also submit that it is not their fault for the current government restrictions on transporting firearms back for repair and maintaining a consistent chain of custody. True that their product's failure is causing all this grief but how different would your feelings be on this subject if you happened to live very near to the UPS service center?

R,
Bullseye
Not tough and I was attempting (poorly) a bit of humor. My lunch hour stretched to almost two the way the cosmic forces aligned. The first time I dropped it off, I was going to one of our plants that was about 10 minutes from the Service Center. If it was 5 minutes from my house, it would be much easier. Ruger isn't responsible for the laws that make shipping and receiving more difficult. UPS's delivery schedule and the signature requirement means I'll probably go back down there to pick it up.

I could ship it FEDEX, closer and more convenient hours, if I wanted to pay shipping or the LGS would probably handle it for me. My feeling is that Ruger should, as they are, pay for shipping. The product was defective (manufacture/qc/design?) and they didn't fix it on the first try. The roll pin looks like it was replaced, so they probably pulled the firing pin, but I bet they didn't do that after the test fire.

This is my 15th Ruger: new, used, used and abused. I've had almost no problems with the first 14. So, I guess it is time for the law of averages to catch up with me.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:44 am

georgezilla: Same here for finding the UPS service center and I believe their phone number is more classified than nuclear release codes. Their website isn't bad for handling a lot of issues.

At $80 shipping, I'd seriously consider taking it to the LGS and taking the loss on a trade-in for another gun.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:20 am

I have not had to ship many guns back for service, but when I do I let my friends at the LGS do it. They can ship it easier and at a lesser cost and can ship by USPS, and us common people can not. Even if they charge me extra,it would still cost less than UPS or Fedex. My friends have always taken care oif me, been dealing with them for 48 years now.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 am

Sorry to hear it was not fixed.

I found out about the satellite stores about 4-5 yrs ago when I shipped my Sig to Gray Guns for action work. I did find out that some Independent mail places would ship them. FedX use to allow you to ship ground which was very cheap at the time if you took it to there Depot. (I think they may have change that now.) Which is only 4 mi from my house which makes it very nice. UPS Depot is about 1 hr drive one way if I ship through them. I do not ship anything UPS if I can help it, since they make it a royal pain when it comes to shipping guns. The LGS is the best. My FFL will ship for cost which is <$30 going Priority Mail.

I would give Ruger one more chance then I would trade it off. I'm surprise Ruger did not setup a Call ticket for shipping it back. I have heard here on other sites that they normally pay for shipping if it was not fixed the first time. Keep your receipt so you can get reimbursed. [/code]
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, it's off collecting frequent flyer miles. We'll see what Ruger does.

The Blackhawks and Single Six did pretty well today.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 am

I've only ever had to send one gun back to the factory for repair, my walther (interarms) PPK/S took it to the gunsmith at gander to see if he could order a new trigger spring since mine had broken. he said why not ship it back to walther and sent it off for me. it came back in like 3 weeks good as new.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne