What a nice day to go shooting.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 am

Short barrel guns are not really meant to be aimed ans S/D gun is basically a point and shoot gun, if you take time to aim you may never get to shoot.
"Mr. Bad Guy, please wait until I get the right glasses so I can see to shoot you" won't work?
DEFINITELY NOT. bad guys have no manners at all and a short attention span also, plus they really don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 am

greener wrote:David, Mr. Sig and Mir. Kimber do very well.
When I leave the house My friends go with me they are the same guys that Harry Callahan had with him, except a little smaller. Smith & Wesson
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 am

"Mr. Bad Guy, please wait until I get the right glasses so I can see to shoot you" won't work?
That is an excellent point Mr. Greener. Usually bad guys aren't polite enough for a "time out" while
the SD individual puts his glasses on and carefully aims his weapon. On the other hand, it's
nice to have options that allow the target shooter to see the front sights clearly, which I would
guesstimate to be about 99.9999% of all the shots fired from the owners gun. I don't think people
practice the "point and shoot" method enough, though, which could ultimately save lives.
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Hakaman wrote:I don't think people
practice the "point and shoot" method enough, though, which could ultimately save lives.
Haka
I know of very few that do. The key is buying a gun that's naturally points with your grip. Kind of like when we were kids and used our hands as guns. Pointing the gun should be like pointing your finger. A gun should point like it's an extension of your arm. If the angle is off you will never be very good with it but with enough practice you can make most any work. HD guns are normally not target guns due to different trigger weight and size. If I recall my CC class 3+ years ago the instructor said that 90% of all HD shooting are 3 yrds or less. I have some silhouette targets that show the vital organs. The bad guy dressed in black with a hand gun pointing at you. When I first started shooting for HD the first thing that was evident was there was no bullseye to home in on. The reason they say hit COM. It took some time before it came natural to hit COM.

The indoor gun range I use when I'm home is setup so you can not shoot from the hip. If you have your target close they will allow you to shoot without bring the gun up high enough to see the front site. So I only get to do this kind of practice when I'm at my dad's place in the country.

There was another fire south of me yesterday, a lot closer too. <10miles away. The smoke smell was more evident this morning.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Blue wrote: There was another fire south of me yesterday, a lot closer too. <10miles away. The smoke smell was more evident this morning.
Here's hoping they don't get any closer.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Hakaman wrote:
That is an excellent point Mr. Greener. Usually bad guys aren't polite enough for a "time out" while
the SD individual puts his glasses on and carefully aims his weapon. On the other hand, it's
nice to have options that allow the target shooter to see the front sights clearly, which I would
guesstimate to be about 99.9999% of all the shots fired from the owners gun. I don't think people
Haka
And they will have to wait for you to unlock the internal (infernal?) lock all the new guns come with for my safety.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:43 pm

David,

You folks could use a bit of one of these tropical storms the East Coast has been getting. Of course, if you wish for a few inches of rain, you will get 20 and floods.

Stay safe.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 pm

We are behind close to 20" of rain now for the year. This is a sandy clay soil where I'm at. Once it get a little damp on the surface it will take the water pretty fast. But if dry and a heavy rain hits it just washes the dust/soil away and very little goes in the ground.

As far as the fires I'm hoping they don't get any close. The ground is just all dead including weeds, which I thought you could not kill them without poison. The trees surprisingly are still alive, though they have a lot of dead leaves on them. At the very tip of the branches you will see several green alive leaves. Mother Nature doing it's thing to survive the drought. This last fire was caused by a bird getting electrocuted, falling to the ground catching it on fire. They said it looked like a turkey buzzard. Apparently it bridged the HV transmission lines.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

accuracy..........

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I've come to the realization that accuracy is dependant on what your purpose is....

target shooting is all about small groups. in a controlled situation where time (usually) isn't a big factor. you can take all the time you need to get perfext sight alignment and trigger sqeeze.

SD shooting is more about "taking your time in a hurry" (Wild Bill Hickock said this I believe) to make the fastest best shot. so a an acceptable group is a bit larger (pie plate size)..

just a thought...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 pm

You can't miss fast enough is another way of putting it. However a torso makes a pretty wide target compared to a integrated spot on a piece of paper.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:53 am

Bullseye wrote:You can't miss fast enough is another way of putting it. However a torso makes a pretty wide target compared to a integrated spot on a piece of paper.

R,
Bullseye
That's why, although I don't have one, I've long felt a shotgun is best for home SD. Why waste a wide target putting just one hole in it?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 pm

I was talking to a neighbor today and found out the fires were a lot closer than I thought. A neighbor down the road from me was/is on the 130 ac to the south of me cutting a fire block for fire containment. This is the fire that I said was < 10 mi from me. It was more like 5 miles. He had some big cats and earth moving equipment. Their still going in and out making sure it's cut wide enough.

Big thanks to my neighbors for going out of their way to make sure the fire is contained. These small towns only have volunteer fire departments.

On a side note,

I have seen 5 bucks, a coon, and 3 wild hogs in the last 3 days. I think they are moving out of acres south of me that has been disturbed with all of the equipment. I need to start packing a gun with more power than a 22 or 20ga #6 mag loads to deal with the hogs. They are a bad problem in certain areas in Texas. They are so bad that our Parks and Wildlife have a guidelines to shoot all wild hogs you can any time you see them. 2 of the 3 hogs I saw probably out weight me. The neighbor came down to see if he could borrow my dad's disk for the tractor. He's needing to smooth out some areas where the hogs rutted up. He has all kinds of tractors and farm equipment but not a heavy disk like my dad has. I told to help himself, my dad only uses it once a year to prepare the garden. He said the hogs have it torn up so bad in one area it 3' deep. The creek that runs through here in 1 in the same. He's going to setup a trap for the hogs.
David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Happy to hear that your Dad's place is doing well David. The wild hog problem has really exploded all over the country in last 10 or 20 years. It is going to take some real serious hunting to bring the population back under control. Many of these wild animals are far more aggressive than their ancestors.

R,
Bullseye