What a nice day to go shooting.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

What a nice day to go shooting.

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 pm

The massive heat wave we have been having all summer has finally broken. Instead of it being 82∘at 7am it was in the low 70∘s. So I go out my back door and setup my range. It had been several weeks since I have shot my Sig 229 9mm but it did not take long to get in the grove. Each target shot at 7 yrds, 20 rounds each with the first one slow fire and the next fast as I could get back on target, ~ 1/sec. 4.8gr WSF behind a Rainers 124 gr RN. If your looking for a nice practice round this load and 4.7 does nicely.

And I could not let my Kimber Ultra get left out so I shot 20 rounds through it. I was forced to change my grip on this small Kimber. I was locking the slide back with regularity. So the last couple of weeks I ahve been doing a lot of dry fire practice with my LaserLyte bullet. This short 3" barrel does put more emphasis on alignment, wish I could see my sights. 4.8 gr of WST behind a Berry's 200gr FN

Not a bad day for an old man who can't see his sights clearly, so I point shoot. One of these days I going to try shooting at night, at least then I can see my night sights and line up the dots at least for the 1st shot before the flash blinds me. :wink: I do have Crimson trace grips on the gun but hard to see during the bright sun conditions.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm

As a fellow Texan, I can attest that today was very nice and well deserved. These days, a high of 91F is jacket weather 8).

Glad to hear you were able to enjoy the day by printing some nice groups at the range.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 am

Sorry you guys in the Great State Of Texas didn't get this rain from tropical storm Lee. One of the earlier projections said you would. You could have really used it.

I've been watching it rain for three days. About 4 1/2 inches so far. Virginia is somewhat lucky, being at the front edge of it. It's supposed to ease up later today, then off and on tonight and most of tomorrow. We may see the sun Thursday.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Looking at the map you folks in the Dallas/Plano area aren't getting any of those fires are you?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 pm

That's some good shooting blue. I also find it enjoyable "point and shoot" shooting,
as I find myself more accurate than what I expected. My accuracy didn't change
much when I used this method. It probably enhances personal protection skills to
become accustomed to this style.
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I was in the process of post a reply this morning when my line went dead. It looks like my modem failed that I use with my MacBookPro when I here. So I set up my dad's Mac to share his dial-up connection. If he had a wireless in his Mini it would be very nice, but I have to be in a different room now due to cable length I have with me. This will buy me some time to get another one in.

DFW are is pretty safe from the fires but they have had several grass fires along the roadways. I'm actually at my Dad's house for the summer, house sitting for him. He's been broken in several times when he takes off and doesn't like to leaving the house empty. So I get to live in the country for about 4 months. Now that he can't take the heat anymore, he goes to Mn for the summer, where his lady friend lives. My dad's place is in east Texas, about 5mi south of Pittsburg, ~150mi east of Dallas. The closest fire is within 25 miles (south and east) of where I'm at. Driving in from home yesterday you could see the smoke/haze in the air. Closer to home you could see at a distance where smoke was rising. Too close for my taste. The winds laid down last night which was a blessing. The past few days winds were 15mph with gust near 30mph and was casing fires to jump the containment line. This area of east Texas is heavily wooded, and the fire jumps from tree top to tree top. Kind of hard to deal with when the trees are 40'+ tall. When you turn on the evening news it's only about more fires that has broke out and/or containment. One of the bigger fires was believed to be started by down power lines. A tree fell taking the lines down and the sparks started the fire.

Basic all of Texas is in a burn band, 251 counties out of 254. We need rain bad and normally we get the bigger rains when a hurricane hit the Tx/La coast. But sadly the high that has been setting over us, the weather men say we will need to be a pretty strong hurricane to move it, 3 and greater. I was here when Hurricane Ike came through several years ago. The eye of the storm passed over me as it changed directions (moved east). We got over 12" of rain when it moved through.

I have had to point shoot ever since I started wearing bi-focals, almost 20 yrs ago. I figure I need to be able to shoot with what I normally have on. I can see the sights lot better without my glasses on but then the target is fuzzy. My shooting partner tells me I will be in the advantage with low light and speed, not having to bring the gun all the way up and looking for the front sight. I have laser grips on the Kimber but I'm still getting use to them and their kind of useless in sun light. The vertical rows seam to be a slight grip change when I changed magazines. Doesn't take much change on a short barrel gun to change POI.

I do a lot of dry fire practice using the LaserLyte Training laser bullet. It's a lot cheaper shooting than real ammo.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Basic all of Texas is in a burn band, 251 counties out of 254. We need rain bad and normally we get the bigger rains when a hurricane hit the Tx/La coast.
I think the East coast would gladly switch weather systems with you Texans.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm glad your safe.

Try going down to the local medication Store and picking up a pair of those generic reading glasses. I'm talking about the ones with the small, half sized lenses, but not the ones designed to peek over. You can place them over your bi-focals and bring your near vision onto the upper half of your eyeglass lenses. Basically you're just turning the near vision, lower portion, of your bi-focals upside down and onto the upper region. A one to one and a half diopter value should be all you need to add into your regular corrective lenses. It kind of looks a little funny bit it will work. In the store you can use the reading chart to see which value reading lens will give you optimum focus for your sight distance. Try extending out your hand and then add approximately seven inches for the best general distance. For about fifteen bucks you'll have vision like you would without spend tons of money on a set of high dollar Knoblochs with diopter lenses added on.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 am

you can find safety glasses with built in reading cheaters, also

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:08 am

My bifocals are actually set for working at a computer so there longer distance than most, more like a tri. I have a bad astigmatism in my right eye which causes more problems. I have a second pair of glasses that are setup for close work only, bi and tri distances. One time I switched out the right lens which worked quite well. Took a little to get use to but could see the target and my sights. I'm need a new pair of glasses, these are scratched up pretty bad, and will get a new pair when I return home. I will make a shooting pair out of my old glasses when I get my new ones. I have a left eye that wants to take dominance which brings out another problem. My left eye actually has better vision than my right so when I shoot weak hand I actually shoot weak/left eye too.

I could smell smoke this morning when I got up. I'll have to turn on the news and see if any new fires popped up closer to me. They say you can see the smoke/haze from over 100 miles away it's so bad. I only know of 1 fire that is north of me and I have 2 lakes between me and it. But one of the lakes is extremely low, and they may be using it's water to drop from the air. Though all of the lakes are down due to this drought that is in it's second year. My dad's pond is the lowest I have ever seen it and it has a small spring that feeds it which tells me that one has dried up finally.

The rain fall for this year is 50% less than the normal avg so far and we were 50% behind last year too. Which is making this year really bad. There is a hurricane in the gulf but the models have no idea where it's actually headed right now. But most of the models show it going into Mexico. The long distance forecast show maybe a chance late next week. We just hope and pray for rain. Normally droughts end with floods. This soil around here needs to get a slow light rain first before it can handle a heavy rain to minimize the surface erosion.
David

Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:24 pm

I have prescription safety glasses for work that are double bifocals. I use them for panel wiring so I don't have to stretch my neck to the max while looking at items above my head. These also double as my favorite pistol shooting glasses. When I look through the top bifocal the front sight is crystal clear, and the target is a little fuzzy. As long as I can see the front target clearly, I can shoot very accurate. My target accuracy has gone up dramatically since using these glasses.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I have a set of amber lenses without the bifocal correction. Works for all but the 2" pistols.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 am

greener wrote:I have a set of amber lenses without the bifocal correction. Works for all but the 2" pistols.
I know you like the big bores but how big is the cylinder on a 2 inch bore pistol, or did you men barrel length?
Short barrel guns are not really meant to be aimed ans S/D gun is basically a point and shoot gun, if you take time to aim you may never get to shoot.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:I have a set of amber lenses without the bifocal correction. Works for all but the 2" pistols.
I know you like the big bores but how big is the cylinder on a 2 inch bore pistol, or did you men barrel length?
Mounts on wheels and towed behind the car. Electrically operated cylinder and trigger. If the bad guy happens to be in a lightly armored vehicle, I got him.
Short barrel guns are not really meant to be aimed ans S/D gun is basically a point and shoot gun, if you take time to aim you may never get to shoot.
"Mr. Bad Guy, please wait until I get the right glasses so I can see to shoot you" won't work?

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 am

David, Mr. Sig and Mir. Kimber do very well.