Beretta 92g shooting 6 inches low...

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Beretta 92g shooting 6 inches low...

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:31 am

I am shooting pretty nice groups, but I am consistently 6 inches low at 25 yards. What do I do to bring the group up? Do I need a new front sight? This is with the top of front sight even with top of rear sight in a standard sight picture. 9 mm BTW.
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Your Beretta is sighted in at the factory for point of aim at 15 yards with 115gr ammo. Right now you're experiencing a front sight that is too tall for your current use. This means filing the front sight lower. Brownells has a handy calculator for how much material to remove for sighting in your pistol.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1309 ... Calculator

The key to using it is to keep all measurements in the same unit of measure (i.e. inches). 25 yards equals 900 inches. You need to measure the distance of the pistol's sight radius (rear blade to front blade again in inches). Amount of correction is 6 inches. You will get how many thousandths to remove from the height of the front sight to have it striking where you like on the target. Go slow and retest frequently, it is easier to remove material from the sight but difficult to put it back on (GTAW formerly TIG welding).

This should help you with your pistols sights.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Are you using a 6 o-clock Hold? Combat sights you cover your target.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the link, Bullseye. Yes I guess the proper term is a 6 o:clock hold. actually I like to split the bull with the sight.

I just really don't shoot at 15 yrds. Actually, DNR is taking out the 25 yard berm because too may FMJ rounds from the 9 mm,s, 40 cal. and the .223s were skimming the top of the berm, hitting the ground behind the berm and ricocheting over the sides or top of the 25 foot berm at the end (70 yards) or over the 10 foot berms on either side. The line of sight was to low to hit the face of the 70 yard berm.

So now, when the DNR gets finished rebuilding the range, your (the shooter's) target stands will have to be tall enough that any round you shoot will have to impact directly the 70 yard berm. That will make people have head high target stands if they want to shoot a hand gun ar 15 or 20 yards. That will be good, though, it will get rid of the people who put a target on a cardboard box and set it on the ground in front of the 25 yard berm, Some can't hit the berm, let alone the target.

For many years, the 25 yard berm was the home of the .22 rifle and pistol shooter and all was good. It was 4 or 5 feet high and the .22 target could be placed in front of the berm with no probability of shooting over the top. It has only been in the last 4 or 5 years that the range has effectively been taken over by the black rifles and want-a-be swat types. Not real fair for the .22 shooters, but life goes on. It will only segregate out those people who can't, won't, or don't know how to build a target stand that doesn't fall over easy in the wind. The benches need to be rebuilt and made higher, but they are currently made of 4x4s buried in concrete, and I doubt seriously they will be touched. They really suck so it would be nice if they were included in the face lift.

DF
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle