K-38 barrel swap?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

K-38 barrel swap?

Post by charlesb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a Smith & Wesson K-38 Target Masterpiece, with the 6" barrel and target sights. I got it cheap, as one side of the barrel has some pitting, and a poor cold-bluing job, where somebody apparently had to remove some rust.

Everything else looks great.

The gun shoots just fine, the bore is pristine. It was made in the late sixties or early seventies, from what I can tell.

So, I looked around at Numrich Arms for a replacement barrel, and found out that they didn't have any 6" barrels - but the 4" barrels are in good supply.

I've never replaced the barrel on a Smith. It looks like it's pinned in there.

Two questions:

What's the basic drill for swapping a barrel on a S&W k-38?

Would swapping over to a 4" barrel be a travesty?

I have had lots of 6" or longer revolvers, and few snubbies - but I've never had anything with a 4" tube.

From what I understand, swapping barrels would convert the gun from a Target Masterpiece into a Combat Masterpiece.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm just kicking the idea around right now, and thought I'd see what other gunners might say.

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 am

Charles, I wouldn't do it. First of all, you say it shoots fine and the bore is fine. Some of the old Smith revolvers are starting to be worth a few bucks, but if you change it from what was originally shipped, the value goes down rapidly. Changing the barrel may may it look like a Combat Masterpiece but it will never be. It will be a Target Masterpiece with the wrong barrel. The basic rule is original is better. Also, changing a pinned barrel is a job for a competent revolversmith.

You don't say what Model it is (model no is in the yolk as you open the cylinder). No model number indicates it was pre-1957. You might want to check out the Smith & Wesson forum (http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php). Post the serial number on the forum and someone will tell you exactly what it is and when it was made. Most of the folks there know way more than I do about older Smith revolvers, but I wouldn't convert a 6" gun to a 4" gun. If it's just a shooter, then it doesn't matter if it's not perfect. Just call it "patina" instead of "rust."

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am

I've been carrying it in a nylon belt holster for my walk around the property in the mornings. It serves as backup for a .22 pistol or a .17HMR rifle that I carry for the four-legged varmints that I encounter most often on the farm.

It would be fun to take a stab at rebarreling the gun, but I take your point about holding out for a good 6" barrel.

I have done a good deal of revolver work in the past, but it was all either maintenance on a shoe-box full of Chiefs Specials for example, or lock-work of some kind. Fitting a new hand and timing the revolver, etc.. - I have never swapped or changed a barrel on a S&W revolver though. I would guess that after the pin comes out, I'll still need a frame wrench to get the barrel off.

When I get a chance, I like to use it for old-fashioned, one-handed bullseye shooting, it's perfect for that. It's really a handsome revolver, if you don't look at the barrel on the right-hand side.

It is a model 14-4, with the old style grips that have no speed-loader cut. The exact date of mfg is not important to me, as I am not a collector and do not have plans to sell the revolver. They're too hard to come by and I got a good deal on this one, all things considered.

I'll try to get a few pictures of the damaged section of the barrel ready to post.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:45 am

charlesb wrote:I've been carrying it in a nylon belt holster for my walk around the property in the mornings. It serves as backup for a .22 pistol or a .17HMR rifle that I carry for the four-legged varmints that I encounter most often on the farm.

It would be fun to take a stab at rebarreling the gun, but I take your point about holding out for a good 6" barrel.

I have done a good deal of revolver work in the past, but it was all either maintenance on a shoe-box full of Chiefs Specials for example, or lock-work of some kind. Fitting a new hand and timing the revolver, etc.. - I have never swapped or changed a barrel on a S&W revolver though. I would guess that after the pin comes out, I'll still need a frame wrench to get the barrel off.

When I get a chance, I like to use it for old-fashioned, one-handed bullseye shooting, it's perfect for that. It's really a handsome revolver, if you don't look at the barrel on the right-hand side.

It is a model 14-4, with the old style grips that have no speed-loader cut. The exact date of mfg is not important to me, as I am not a collector and do not have plans to sell the revolver. They're too hard to come by and I got a good deal on this one, all things considered.

I'll try to get a few pictures of the damaged section of the barrel ready to post.
That Smith is like us old guys, don't look too good but still works and gets the job done!!!
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.