my first handgun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 am

My first handgun was a pellet pistol. I bought it when I was 12 or so. It shot BB's, .17 cal pellets and darts. I think the pellets were pretty accurate, it dented tin cans, broke mason jars and punched holes in milk cartons. Somewhere along the way, it punched holes in a few birds. They are great fun and a good way to learn to shoot. A couple years later I was shooting my Dad's S&W .38.

When I got back into shooting a few years ago after years of not doing much other than military qualifications, I bought an S&W 22A and, like Stork suggested, I pumped thousands of .22 rounds into targets. Great and inexpensive way to (re)learn to shoot.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:05 am

greener wrote:My first handgun was a pellet pistol. I bought it when I was 12 or so. It shot BB's, .17 cal pellets and darts. I think the pellets were pretty accurate, it dented tin cans, broke mason jars and punched holes in milk cartons. Somewhere along the way, it punched holes in a few birds. They are great fun and a good way to learn to shoot.
Mine was, also ... a LONG time ago I went out and bought my own, as I lost access to the family airguns when I went out into the world on my own.
(possibly not as long as you, but it seems like a long time to me)

Mine was/is one of these, although I didn't have the silly brass handle on the breech cover, you just grab it, rotate about 1/8 of a turn, and pull it back to reveal the breech, the brass lever on the new model just looks silly for doing so little motion.

Before I had my own, the family had the same one, with the option of a stock for rifle practice as well ... I wonder if possession of that stock and a bunch of handguns would constitute a nonsense charge of "constructive possession" of a SBR in the eyes of the BATFEIEIO now?

Darts were always fun indoors, I even had that thing in my barracks room in the USN and shot a few darts every day. Pellets were highly accurate out to 15-20 yards, and I don't remember ever really running BBs, for some reason, I know I don't have anything but pellets now, the darts were all destroyed and I never see them any more. I still get it out once in a while, I should tear it down and give it a good cleaning, I don't think I ever have since 1998/9 when I bought it, it still works, although I think some of the seals in the pump system are drying out, it takes a few tries to get it to actually pump instead of just wheezing at me.

I've been contemplating one of these for a while:
http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/2/step1
although I can't really articulate a reason beyond "for fun shooting in my home every day"

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:11 am

Don.t see pellet pistols much here in Michigan, as a
177 pellet pistol and a S&W .500, ten inch barrel hand cannon are equal in the eyes of the law as to purchase requirements.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm

thx guys, i probly gonna go with a 22. silverodo i seen at the pawnshop for 75$ a 22. is very inexpensive as i like to shoot alot . then when i get good enough and feel comfortable i will step up some. anyway if i get robbed i always got my maverick 88 =]
dropped on request 1/7/12

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 pm

The first air pistol that I shared with my brother was an old crossman. I found it at my dad's last summer and cleaned it up. Got this back in the 60's and says Patient pending. It shot BB, pellets and darts. With the supplied dart board they would some time bounce back at you. :? Brings back memories. My first Center fire was a Ruger Black Hawk in 30 carbine.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 pm

thx guys im thinking of going with a 22. silverado for 75$, but only prob with 22. pistols is i had alot jam up on me when i was target shooting down at the range it was a berreta tomcat and it hung up with american eagle ammo it was strange i always had good luck with berreta but this dispoints me.and wth is a minimag 22.
dropped on request 1/7/12

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:44 am

bearandoldman wrote:Don.t see pellet pistols much here in Michigan, as a
177 pellet pistol and a S&W .500, ten inch barrel hand cannon are equal in the eyes of the law as to purchase requirements.
Nope, if it is OVER .177. Like a .22 airpistol then it would qualify but .177 is expressly exempt from needing a permit to purchase. So are the 6mm airsoft guns
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne