S&W QC, another reason to like Rugers!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:19 pm

I'll agree with the gun owner figures. Most "gun owners" I've known in my life had one gun, seldom used if at all. A handgun in a drawer for years, or a rifle forgotten in a closet.

Quality control seems less than it was, but not a total disaster. I think companies have trimmed to help costs, and it has at least hurt a little.

I've owned seven Rugers in the late seventies/early eighties. As I remember the fit and finish was slightly better than the ones I own now. None were returned, no problems. I had other guns by four other makers, that were fine.

I have five now, one was returned, a Single-Six with a too large barrel/cylinder gap. I had chosen it over a second one that the store (Gander) had. The second one had a large pit in the frame, in the loading gate opening. My other four Rugers and my two Berettas were fine out of the box.

I have looked at a number of Taurus 94 .22 revolvers. Only an older used one passed my "inspection", and I was short on green that day. All the new ones could have used a u-turn back to QC.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Ruger has its problems, too. My son's new GP100 went back after testing at the range for the first time. It would fire a couple of rounds then the cylinder would stop turning.

My SP101 has an over rotated barrel. But this doesn't seem to be a problem. Still shoots straight....at least at ranges it is designed for.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm thinking this is an industry thing going on. I've noticed problems with several manf of guns.
Mr Greener's LC9 had to go back twice to Ruger, my two S&W's each had to both go back.
I was at BassProShop looking at the Beretta M9A1's and found the 3 guns they had in
stock all had poor bluing done on them. After BPS sent away for new ones twice to finally
get a suitable one to purchase. My friends Glock had bluing issues with it, and so did Georgezilla.
I imagine many more people in here could relate about issues with their newly purchased heaters.
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 pm

None of my Rugers are perfect, especially cosmetically. I'll rant a little, to make a point........ :lol:

The Single-Six has some marks under the topstrap from the tap used for threading the barrel hole.

My Bearcats have a bit of barrel thread exposed at the base of the forcing cones. The corners above the firing pin look like they had sharp 90 degree corners, that were then done extra with a small round file. One has an extra click, from the cylinder latch being a little ahead of full cock.

None of Ruger's SA grips fit well, not since Lett ended.

My Mark III has some tool marks around the mainspring latch.

The 10/22 had a long scrape on the barrel, and light streaks on the receiver top (I'm sure the scope mount does worse to the paint, though).

True, if these were meant for display at Tiffany's or Cartier, they wouldn't do. That kind of QC would probably add a chunk of $$ to the price tags. All of my list are minor nitpicks, which do no harm to function or durability, and hurt the appearance very little.

I think Ruger has mastered techniques that allow, but limit, these minor imperfections, to keep price down and inventory growing.

I have to add, though, that my little Berettas were absolutely perfect out of the box, even under the grips. I guess one reason they were a little pricey for what they are.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I'd have to say that Rugers are, by and large, a very good buy. I've owned several and have been happy with all of them. I bought a new Super Bearcat when they first came out. It was as good as one could expect for a $65 handgun. Sold it many years later (for $300) and bought a MkII SS and it, too, was "perfect". Sold it and bought a 10/22 Deluxe (which I still have) and it is also beautiful for a "factory finish". I now have the 10/22, a MkIII 22/45 and a SP101 and the SP101 is the only one with a problem.....the over rotated barrel....and it is cosmetic only.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Maybe I've been lucky, never had to send a gun back for manufacturer's defects. Just a broke trigger spring on my ppk/s after many many rounds.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Maybe I've been lucky, never had to send a gun back for manufacturer's defects. Just a broke trigger spring on my ppk/s after many many rounds.
I'll have to admit, that experience pays off when purchasing guns. When I bought my two S's,
I wasn't real experienced, and for the most part, I trusted the fact that it was new would mean
it was good. For new gun purchasers, it is a good thing to take an experienced owner along with
you when you purchase. You probably have good experience in these matters Mr.Greener Jr.
I have a little more experience now, but still like to have another set of eyes with me to make sure.
I do believe that QC is not what it used to be, though. All companies try to cut back all the workers
they can and still get the job done. I can see this where I work, and everybody complains about it too.
Haka

Japle

Post by Japle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Update – 20 January:

Well, as of today, S&W has had my gun for two weeks. Considering the fact that it’s the subject of distinctly unflattering threads on 15 different firearms forums and S&W’s Facebook page, I thought I might get a little quicker action.

Guess not. I haven’t heard a word.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Welcome to GTO, Japle!

Most of the big firearm companies run about a 10 - 15 business day backlog on repairs. That being said, I presume they just recently read your repair note. I really wouldn't expect them to bump your repair order in front of everyone that has already been waiting, perhaps since before the holidays. Also, consider that their shop could be running a longer backlog due to them being closed over the holidays.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

QC and a second look

Post by Coach1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Welcome to GTO form, Japle.

I have been very fortunate with all the handguns I bought (recent to the sport). Only mt GSG 19911 failed with a split barrel bushing (ATI/GSG replaced it with a steel one). Establishing a good relationship with the proprietor of your favorite LGS is always a good idea.

I always inspect the gun more than once and bring my son in law with me for that second pair of eyes that Haka recommends.

I bought a SA EMP in 9mm as my Christmas present after saving all year. It deserves the good write-ups in trade mags and online threads.
I got a Wild Bill's Concealment leather paddle holster at the Raleigh Dixie G&K show last Saturday. A great combination. I will post a pic or two when I get my camera back from my daughter.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 am

This time of year is always a little difficult for most manufacturers because of the holidays and the Shot Show happening in very close proximity to each other. It also depends on what your firearm needs in the way of repairs, some things take a little longer than others to resolve. Did a local shop ship it back for you? If so, then the manufacturer may not have had it quite as long as you think they have. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon. Oh, and Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

R,
Bullseye

Japle

Post by Japle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Posted by Bullseye:
Did a local shop ship it back for you? If so, then the manufacturer may not have had it quite as long as you think they have.
They sent me a FedEx shipping label. I sent the gun back in its original case. FedEx tracking showed they got it on 6 Jan at 9:07AM.

I know the SHOT Show is going on, but I’d think, since there are over 33,000 hits on all the forums, it would be in their best interests to fix the gun, get it back to me and get this whole business behind them as soon as possible, but I guess S&W has their own ideas about that.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Japle wrote:
Posted by Bullseye:
Did a local shop ship it back for you? If so, then the manufacturer may not have had it quite as long as you think they have.
They sent me a FedEx shipping label. I sent the gun back in its original case. FedEx tracking showed they got it on 6 Jan at 9:07AM.

I know the SHOT Show is going on, but I’d think, since there are over 33,000 hits on all the forums, it would be in their best interests to fix the gun, get it back to me and get this whole business behind them as soon as possible, but I guess S&W has their own ideas about that.
What about the others that got there ahead of you?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Japle

Post by Japle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:16 pm

What about the others that got there ahead of you?
What "others"?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:39 pm

BOM, I concur.
Japle wrote: What "others"?
BOM is referring to S&W's other customers that sent their firearms in for service before you.

Most companies that provide warranty/aftermarket services to their products do run a backlog in January after the holidays because they close up shop at the end of December so their employees can enjoy the season with their families. I'm sure on January 2nd when they re-opened, they already had a lot of firearms waiting for repair. Also, keep in mind that your pistol has only been their 11 business days if you count MLK day. Most firearm companies quote a 10 - 15 business day turnaround under normal operations, so one should expect it to be a little longer because they are dealing with the holiday backlog, and SHOT as Bullseye pointed out.

I understand where you are coming from, Japle. However, a little patience goes a long way. S&W does have other customers, and I am sure they don't base their turnaround time on forum hits that certain issues get.