SP101 holster????

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Holster is in and it is a near perfect fit. The only problem was the strap was too short to snap. I wet it and stretched it and now it snaps perfectly. The muzzle is covered. The hammer is covered. The laser slides in without catching. The snap is tight and covers the trigger very well. Highly unlikely that anything could work its way into the trigger area to fire it accidently.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Looks like a winner for me...

I do not see any problem with the strap covering the trigger. It's very unlikely that anything will be able to move the trigger far enough to fire as long as the strap is on.

I'm currently making a OWB holster for my little Kimber. It's a slow process.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:36 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Looks like a winner for me...

I do not see any problem with the strap covering the trigger. It's very unlikely that anything will be able to move the trigger far enough to fire as long as the strap is on.

I'm currently making a OWB holster for my little Kimber. It's a slow process.
Never known anyone to make their own. How about some pictures?

I like the strap on the Lawrence. It unsnaps and draws in one easy motion. I think it will do nicely for my purposes.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am

There are some pictures of a custom holster for a Python I made several years ago on this site somewhere. Will see if I can locate that thread. I have been working in leather for over 40 yrs as a hobby. I don't have much artistic ability when it comes to tooling but I can make cases pretty good.

Found the link. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2014

and my Kimber Hydex Hybrid IWB Holster

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3054
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm

blue68f100 wrote:There are some pictures of a custom holster for a Python I made several years ago on this site somewhere. Will see if I can locate that thread. I have been working in leather for over 40 yrs as a hobby. I don't have much artistic ability when it comes to tooling but I can make cases pretty good.

Found the link. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2014

and my Kimber Hydex Hybrid IWB Holster

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3054
Nice work! I like leather. Did some leather work in my school days (~55 years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it. That was back in the days when they actually taught crafts and trades. Often thought about taking it up as a hobby, but never did. Too many hobbies already. I have an Uncle that was hospitalized during WWII (a Marine) for many months. While in the hospital (in Guam) he learned leather work and acquired all the tools of the trade. He worked his way through college, making purses, wallets, belts, etc. all hand tooled and laced. He married his nurse and they still live in Tacoma area. He gave up leather work after he graduated from the U of O (Oregon). Sad! He did beautiful work.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:34 am

I was going to say that David has made several holsters before and I believe there were a few other members who have too.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 am

Bullseye your correct, I'm not the only member to make holsters. Std leather holster like Jack bought are among the easiest to make. Since there was no casing done for a specific gun. The Leather Factory (Tandy Leather) has a holster pattern book that you can buy too. Once they make one they take it apart and make a clicker die for it. Then all they do is use the clicker die to cut out the leather pattern, then add hardware and sew it together. A clicker die is just a cookie cutter used to cut leather in a press. Casing is the process if wetting the leathers so it can be formed. So if the fit was very tight you could dampen the leather then form it to fit your gun. What most don't realize is that leather has a grain in it which limits which direction it will stretch the easiest. I try to use this grain to my advantage. But I'm old school when it comes to holsters. I use pig skin linings in all my holsters besides all being a one off, I do not use patterns. The way I make mine they do not come apart without tearing it up since I use adhesives to hold every thing together so I can sew it. I could post pictures of the process if any one is interested it knowing it.
David

Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:58 am

blue68f100 wrote: I could post pictures of the process if any one is interested it knowing it.

Absolutely. I may never make one myself, but am always interested in the process.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Blue has created a holster "how-to" page and I have placed it in the Workshop section as a Sticky.

You can click here to jump to the thread http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3382

R,
Bullseye

turkeyhunter

Post by turkeyhunter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Check out Simply Rugged. I got one for my SP101 and I really like it.