Heizer DoubleTap

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Heizer DoubleTap

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Heizer DoubleTap , anybody have any desire to get one?
The website below has a couple links to shot show videoes demonstrating this pocket pistol. If nothing else, it's quite unique.

http://theamericansurvivalguide.com/sho ... -Derringer

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Heizer DoubleTap

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Hakaman wrote:Heizer DoubleTap , anybody have any desire to get one?
The website below has a couple links to shot show videoes demonstrating this pocket pistol. If nothing else, it's quite unique.

http://theamericansurvivalguide.com/sho ... -Derringer
My J frame is not much bigger and is better looking and carries rounds of .38 +P
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 pm

:thumbs up:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm

:thumbs up:
Does this mean you are going to get one, Mr. Greener?

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 pm

They look interesting, but I'll stick with my TCP738 and S&W442.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 am

Derringer clones don't do much for me. By the way the grips don't say "HO" they are printed "HD" for Heizer Defense.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am

I'd like to have one.

My favorite little gun right now is the Beretta model 21 Bobcat in .22lr, and if I can conceal it, the model 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP.

For a .40 caliber small gun, I like the obsolete Star Firestar, a small, steel-framed automatic. It's kind of heavy for a small gun but it has great shooting qualities, to make up for that.

The DoubleTap looks like a good back pocket or boot gun, a good backup. It doesn't look like it would be much good for plinking though, which is what I always end up doing with the small guns, trying to keep my hand in.

The smaller the gun, the more critical shot placement gets to be so I like to practice by whipping it out and plinking, when I get a chance to.

I can't see myself doing much of that with the DoubleTap. - I'd probably fire a dozen rounds or so with hearing protection when I first got it, to see where it shoots. It doesn't look like much of a plinker though, so that would probably be about all the practice I would get.

It looks awfully loud, which will cut down on the instances of casual plinking.

It's a personal quirk, but I feel a lot more confident with guns that I shoot and clean regularly. - I'm speaking about mechanical reliability and familiarization with the guns handling here, not just practicing for accuracy.

For what it does though, the DoubleTap looks like a great design. Nice and flat, lightweight.

The barrel porting is a toss-up.

You have to wonder how effective the porting will be for a low-pressure round like the 45, but with a short barrel you do tend to get more pressure at the muzzle...

One thing for sure about porting a short barrel gun though, is that it effectively makes the barrel even shorter, reducing velocity on a gun design where the main drawback is low velocity due to a short barrel.

Taking the chamber into account, it looks like about half of the guns barrel is ported.

So the barrel-porting question is something that cannot be determined from the armchair. I'd have to borrow somebody's DoubleTap and try it out for myself before I would consider coughing up big bucks for something like that.

If I couldn't hit a soda can at ten feet with it on the first or second try, I'd have to give it a pass.

Personally, I have to concentrate, and kind of develop a casual attitude about injury to my hand in order to relax enough to shoot heavy-recoiling handguns with tiny grips accurately, and after all that - I expect to be rewarded with a hit.

I would also expect the can to bust and make a soda-cloud, not just end up knocked-over with a hole in it.

If it would bust a soda can at ten feet for me, I'd seriously consider it, as currently I do not have anything like that. The DoubleTap really does look like a good vest pocket, or boot gun.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am

Reminds me of the liberator pistols we dropped into France during ww2 .......

Not on my list of guns I want.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Some good points brought up here. The main reason for a gun like this is how easily it conceals. I think it has great success in this category, but the compactness takes away in velocity, like charlesb said. I personally would like to have one, but I won't spend the money to get it. I still like my Kahr enough to be quite satisfied in the "pocket gun" category.
haka