Temptation

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Temptation

Post by greener » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Ran across someone wanting to sell me an old 1911. Long story is that it was put together from arms room parts as a retirement piece. Supposedly mix of WWI and WWII parts. Slide wants to stick a bit on the disconnector. Haven't fired it yet. No idea what it's worth.

My guess is that it is worth as much as an Philippines 1911. Bad grind at the trigger sort of takes value away from the frame. Comments?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Interesting, give it a good safety check before you attempt shooting it. I'd only load one or two rounds at first until you're sure it won't double on you. It may not have been fitted all the way properly since it was intended as a retirement memento.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Check it out good. If I recall either the slide or frame were not heat treated well on the early ones. They were mfg them so fast short cuts were taken. If so I would shoot some reduced loads in it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 am

What do you consider a reduced load?

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am

I did a little research. By serial number, the frame was made by Colt in 1919. The majority of comments question integrity of frame for extended shooting and anything but light loads. Value? Pick a number.

Worth buying as an occasional shooter/discussion piece? It's better than the one I had assigned to me as a battalion commander.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm

If you reload, pick the center and below and you should be fine. It will put you in the 700fps range for the 230gr.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Took it to the range today.
Stopped by WalMart this morning on the off chance they had some 230 gr FMJ to try. No joy, but they did have .22lr (first I've bought since December).
Took some of my 200gr lead reloads and the box of 230gr FMJ I've been saving for a while ($11.97 at Walmart). All rounds fired without mishap, the lead loads were a tad lighter than the commercial ball. Took a few rounds to adjust to the pistol and I was putting the rounds in the black of a 50' slow-fire target. Those GI sights aren't as clear as they were 20-40 years ago.

I guess I have another1911 to fiddle with.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 pm

This is the first one you've bought in a while, that you have mentioned anyway,
you may be falling behind your one-new-gun-a-month avg?
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Guess I'll have to take a trailer on my next visit to the LGS

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:34 am

greener wrote:Guess I'll have to take a trailer on my next visit to the LGS
good idea, your little second childhood car will not hold that many
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:37 am

bearandoldman wrote:
That was my excuse for not buying the 12,500 round barrel of .223 ammo for the bargain price of $6,800. I was driving the toy car and it wouldn't fit in the trunk.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:30 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
That was my excuse for not buying the 12,500 round barrel of .223 ammo for the bargain price of $6,800. I was driving the toy car and it wouldn't fit in the trunk.
Maybe they would have held it while you put some quick casters on a pallet and tied it to the bumper?.......... :D
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:39 am

ruger22 wrote:
greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:good idea, your little second childhood car will not hold that many
Maybe they would have held it while you put some quick casters on a pallet and tied it to the bumper?.......... :D
Why didn't I think of that?

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 am

This is getting to be an interesting project.

When sitting on an empty chamber, the slide was very hard to move. I replaced the sear and disconnector and loosened the barrel link. The slide cycles as it should. It was probably the barrel link causing the problem.

I couldn't get me and the pistol to shoot consistently and some of the strikes looked like the bullets were tumbling. This happened with any ammo I shot. Last weekend I dug into my box of parts and came up with a barrel and bushing that belongs on one of the old 1911's that needs a new front sight. (I've been using the frame with a Kimber .22 adapter and haven't gotten a round tuit to fix the slide). I replaced both the barrel and bushing because the barrel from Temptation, didn't fit the other bushing. This seemed to fix the erratic shooting, at least the part I can't assigned to the shooter.

Is it worth getting a new bushing and try fitting the barrel that came with the pistol?

I haven't quite figured out how to fix the blurry GI sights.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:47 pm

EGW has a service in which you send them your bushing size and barrel size and they will angle bore a bushing to your spec. Pretty much takes all of the fitting work out of it. A custom drop in part, saves lots of time.

What shape was the crown in?

How much play was in the the old barrel/bushing setup? I read some where that for every 0.001" = 1" at 25 yrds.

Blurry sights?????? What sights ( I don't see them either) ????

With my eyes I like the dot sights. FastFireIII has a base that will fit the std cut on a 1911 I believe. :wink:

I made a base for my c-more to fit a Novac cut.
David

Custom Built 1911