3.3 XDs Safety-Recall

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

3.3 XDs Safety-Recall

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Just wanted to let ya'll know in case you own, or know someone that does, an affected XDs pistol.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Two of them here, one 45, one 9x19.

Apparently Springfield doesn't have a fix figured out yet - I'm rather annoyed with the whole subject.

Glad I didn't make a special errand to find a FedEx location to send mine in when the recall was new, I'd be fuming if I'd sent in two guns (~~$1000 worth of hardware) for a recall with no repair planned.

MrsBFD is even more pissed than I am about it, they're part of HER carry gun collection first, and we haven't even shot the 9x19 version yet.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

As far as I can tell, it seems to be internet rumor at this point that SA does not have a fix figured out by now. However, SA not refuting these claims means they could be true. Based on the info I've seen, I'm not really convinced. I think it's more likely that they called the recall before they had staff trained up to do the repair. Around 250,000 guns are affected, even if a small percentage of owners respond to the recall, they still need a lot of people trained up.

I wish there was no recall, but no device is ever made perfect.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:22 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
Apparently Springfield doesn't have a fix figured out yet - I'm rather annoyed with the whole subject.
This was indeed the case. I was incorrect in my previous posting.

SA has since determined a fix and started shipping pistols back yesterday (10/18/13). When I get mine back, I will put it through some good range use and post an update.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:15 pm

if you don't mind being my guinea pig, I would really appreciate a report on your trigger pull and what changes with it.

Both of mine are still sitting in the safe in a box ready to ship. I have been unable to replicate the malfunction Springfield describes (using dummy rounds, of course).

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Haha yes, no worries. Although I do not anticipate getting it back for a while because I sent it in after the recall had been underway for well over a week. When I get it back, I will be sure to share my impressions.

I personally never experienced any of the conditions that prompted the recall either. Although I did not have a whole lot of rounds through the pistol.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I may try harder to replicate the malfunction, actually.

I'll send 'em both in once the initial wave goes through, I suppose.
Apparently now that SAinc has a fix, they're tossing a spare big mag in the return package as an apology - which is a start. If they tossed in a few boxes of ammo, I'd be much more willing to forgive their botched release&recall.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:05 pm

I got my XDs back yesterday. The trigger feels just as bad as when I sent it off (around a 7-lb pull, very mashy, same as when it left) :P. I don't think I will get a chance to really put the updated pistol through its paces until the end of the month. After I test it, I will share my conclusions.

This link has some good information about the changes http://www.tacti-cool.com/diy/2013/10/3 ... new-vs-old. They had to make the grip safety and grip safety spring more complex. The grip safety spring geometry is now more complicated because the spring has to serve two tasks instead of one, and the grip safety is more complicated because it now has an integrated moving part (a small linkage).

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi. At the risk of re-opening an old thread ..

I do not own an SA XDs-9, but do own several SA handguns with which I am very happy. (my first handgun was an XDM - 9, 3.8" bbl) so I have followed this XDs issue with some interest.

I found this You Tube video on the Military Arms Channel (MAC) that may be informative for others on the forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sToNVBI9s
Rgds, Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks for the reminder to post an update.

I ended up getting the XDs back right before Christmas. I sent it in mid September 2014, so they had it a bit over 3 months. I did get an extra mag out of it though. I will pretty much echo the sentiments regarding the trigger. My post recall XDs .45 initially had a terrible trigger, but it smoothed out quickly. It functioned fine other than that. There's a lot of technical information out regarding the fix now; more than what is in that video.

I did end up trading the XDs .45, but that was due to various reasons, none of which are related to the post recall reliability.