GP-100 Match Champion

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

GP-100 Match Champion

Post by greener » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Looks like a serious upgrade of the GP-100. I'm not sure I like the fixed sights.

I've been having trouble with my 4" GP-100. For some reason it wouldn't hit squat. I suppose I found squat at the semiannual greener shoot out a couple weeks ago, because my GP100 did pretty well. Maybe it likes cold weather.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100Matc ... xtras.html

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:29 am

we were shooting at SQUAT? huh always wondered what that was.... :wink:

I like the looks of it the nice grips, the half lug, and the nice sights. those sights should give a chrisp sight picture and be able to take a knocking around. I wonder if they did any work on the trigger smooting it out and lightening the pull would be great for a competition gun.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:31 am

and I noticed you beat ruger22 to a new ruger model announcement.... :thumbs up: you must've been lucky or got up early for that. :wink:

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am

bgreenea3 wrote:and I noticed you beat ruger22 to a new ruger model announcement.... :thumbs up: you must've been lucky or got up early for that. :wink:
Hey, I do like Rugers. I saw this one a week ago, just wasn't very impressed. I've never liked Ruger's current DA revolvers, the Six series was better, for my taste. I can't make myself like the peg mount rubber grips, and I think the GP is over-built even by Ruger standards.

Were it possible to get new snub Speed-Sixes in .357 and .22LR, I doubt I'd have my LCRs.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 pm

My first revolver was a 4" gp100 blued... greener at the time said what do you need that for and shook his head. This was before he got back into shooting. Fashion forward a couple years he went shooting with me shot the gp100, and bought one just like it but stainless. I've really likes mine over the last 13 years I've owned it.

This one looks a heckova lot like the security/speed six and the review on gunblast said the da pull was about 6.5 lbs and smooth. Sounds pretty nice.

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 pm

greener wrote:For some reason it wouldn't hit squat.
Perhaps you need to form up a "SQUAT" Team!

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:23 am

Greener is to old and feeble to do squats any more...... Mom even says "he won't clean, that jerk" the only curls he has anything to do with are made of cheese. He thinks a military press has to do with the creases on your uniform......

:wink:

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:45 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Greener is to old and feeble to do squats any more...... Mom even says "he won't clean, that jerk" the only curls he has anything to do with are made of cheese. He thinks a military press has to do with the creases on your uniform......

Hi is right , punk kid.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:Greener is to old and feeble to do squats any more...... Mom even says "he won't clean, that jerk" the only curls he has anything to do with are made of cheese. He thinks a military press has to do with the creases on your uniform......

Hi is right , punk kid.
I ran out of weightliftng puns.....

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

bgreenea3 wrote: He thinks a military press has to do with the creases on your uniform......

Only with a high starch. I'd be a dumbbell otherwise.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Bullseye wrote:
greener wrote:For some reason it wouldn't hit squat.
Perhaps you need to form up a "SQUAT" Team!

R,
Bullseye
That would help with the low shots.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:25 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

Hi is right , punk kid.
I ran out of weightliftng puns.....
I've had lot's of reps doing the heavy lifting for you.

You are right about the GP100 history. I dissed yours for a couple of years until I was forced to shoot it. The stainless is one of the best feeling, easy on target handguns I own. For whatever reason (loads, shooter) I stopped being able to do much with accuracy lately. The W231 loads I was using in December seem to perk us up a bit and "we" are shooting well.

I seem to shoot the S&W 686 better than the GP100, but the 686 is not nearly as comfortable and easy to shoot.

It looks like Ruger has taken an excellent platform and done some great improvements. I would prefer adjustable sights.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 pm

mine has a preferance for a bit higher velocities, 357s are dang accurate out of it.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Maybe mine doesn't like the Universal loads. It does quite well with 4.0 grains W231 and a 158gr lead bullet. I'm waiting to see the new GP and see what price it's sold for. I'm about knee deep in revolvers that shoot .358" dia bullets. I wonder if the GP would be worth dumping a couple to pay for it.