Ruger LC9s

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Ruger LC9s

Post by greener » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 am

Smaller version of the LC9. Might be a better idea. A little easier concealed carry.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9s/models.html

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 am

We've had our LC9 for about a year now, I guess... So far I've not been tempted to modify it, it's still factory stock and my family depends upon it every day.

The bluing on the safety and slide release has some wear, otherwise you'd never know that it had been carried. We just use one of those "pocket holsters" for it, and it changes hands within the family with some regularity. Everybody has fired it enough to know what to expect out of it.

It conceals pretty easily compared to other pistols here. The new shorty version would make a good pocket gun.

Click image to see it larger.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm

If you look again, it's not smaller. I got an email announcing it, and the difference is a lighter trigger with less travel. It's striker fired, instead of a hammer like the original.

http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/em ... 3P74Sa.pdf
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 pm

In general, I am not impressed with striker-fire "staple-gun" triggers.

Even after working over my Glock29 for a light pull, it still had that "staple-gun" feel to it, and eventually I decided to sell it to a local LEO who was looking for a compact Glock.

They work OK, I just don't like the way they feel. Same reason I can't cotton to S&W DA autos, something about the trigger feels wrong to me. Even my old 10mm Smith auto had that problem.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:29 pm

ruger22 wrote:If you look again, it's not smaller. I got an email announcing it, and the difference is a lighter trigger with less travel. It's striker fired, instead of a hammer like the original.

http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/em ... 3P74Sa.pdf
You are right, I misread the announcement.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:13 pm

just picked up a lcp9S, I'll try and let you know how it works out.

being left handed, I have no use for the safety, except for possibly holstering the gun. It appears to work well for deep front pocket carry so far.

I found the complaints about dis-assembly to be a non issue. not a weapon you'd field strip anyway.

I've got a lcp and find it a bit too small for my hands, grip wise, and trigger wise. I can't pull it far enough back to fire without readjusting my grip.

the lc9s works much better for me...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:28 am

You may find a need for more frequent field-stripping if you decide to pocket carry due to high fuzz intrusion in the inner workings.

Have not heard anything from you in quite a long time - welcome back!

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 am

I found the LC9 to be a bit on the large side for (pants) pocket carry. I've used an Uncle Mikes pocket holster on each of my pocket carry guns and they seem to work quite well for keeping the gun clean and unencumbered with anything else in my pocket.

I haven't found the LC9 to be particularly difficult to field strip. I just don't do it very often so I have t stop and think for a moment. (That's difficult). If you are removing the firing pin then that takes more time. Since they have the firing pin being retained by the LCI system, I'm not sure they intended for it to be a regular removal item.

The problem with pocket-carry size firearms is that they are usually not that much fun to shoot and I shoot them just often enough to stay familiar with them, so they don't need field stripping and cleaning very often.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:16 am

I finally looked at an LC9S today. It may be slightly smaller than my LC9. The trigger is better. No LCI bar.

The only thing I didn't like about it was while I was discussing it as a pocket pistol with the seller he put it in his pocket, drew and pointed at me. I had cleared the pistol twice and didn't lose sight of it except for the short time in his pocket. Still doesn't change my feelings about having someone point a pistol at me.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:00 am

That sounds like a good place to steer clear of in the future. Dangerous practices eventually lead to catastrophes.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 am

Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces <<<That's the weight of my Kahr PM9. I like it, it carries well in my Galco pocket holster. I also love the night sights on it because I have it holstered on the frame of the bed right next to me, hidden under a mattress skirt. I'm a little more edgy these days due to the current events.
I 'had' a friend who never seemed to find a comfort zone for carrying a concealed weapon. It would always 'weigh' heavily on his mind, never letting him relax. Bad thing was, and he did it 3 times, was jokingly telling me it was pointed at me while sitting down at lunch together. By virtue of it being in his pocket and him being in a sitting position (lunch), it was coincidentally pointing somewhat in my direction. So he let me know this, just to get a rise out of me. I don't see him much anymore.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:33 am

Sounds like a good reason not to see him much any more.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Bullseye wrote:You may find a need for more frequent field-stripping if you decide to pocket carry due to high fuzz intrusion in the inner workings.

R,
Bullseye
I've been avoiding those I-94 winter wrecks lol.
I'm carrying the lc9s in a Galco leather pocket holster.

I bought a pair of the Duluth firehose pants. man those are deeeeeep pockets lol.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 am

perazzi wrote:
Bullseye wrote:You may find a need for more frequent field-stripping if you decide to pocket carry due to high fuzz intrusion in the inner workings.

R,
Bullseye
I've been avoiding those I-94 winter wrecks lol.
I'm carrying the lc9s in a Galco leather pocket holster.

I bought a pair of the Duluth firehose pants. man those are deeeeeep pockets lol.
Takes a big pocket to carry an lc9. Looks like you found the right pants.

35bore

Re: Ruger LC9s

Post by 35bore » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

I use an inside the pant holster for my LC9 and I feel very comfortable with the firearm carried in such a manor. It is an almost every day carry gun for me. The days I don't carry it I find that LCP to be a fantastic pocket carry. I am pretty happy with all the pistols ruger has come up with since CCW became so popular.

I also agree that pocket guns should be cleaned just a little more than normal, i.e. lint... Compressed air works pretty good for getting lint out of the trigger mechanism.