FEG P3R Hungarian 9mm

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

FEG P3R Hungarian 9mm

Post by charlesb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Recently I acquired an unusual handgun, while looking for an inexpensive full-sized auto.

It cost around 300 bills, and at first glance looks much like a Browning Hi-Power. - A FEG P3R, made in Hungary.

Click image to see it bigger

Note though that from the trigger guard back, it looks a lot like an old-style Smith & Wesson large auto, including the trigger guard shape, de-cocker and hammer. The double-action fire control system is apparently cloned from a Smith, while the general outline of the gun looks more like a Browning Hi-power.

I thought for 300 bucks, I'd give it a try.

At the range today, I was able to reliably hit the Man-shaped steel silhouette at 25 yards, if I held low. It functioned perfectly through a brief 25 round test, using "Blazer Brass" hardball type ammo. If I aimed at the "center of mass", I could tell that some shots were going over a shoulder, into the berm.

Next trip, I'll put up a target board and see what it does at a paper target placed 15 yards out.

Since it shoots high, There's not a lot that I can do with the fixed sights but I may look into that someday. For now it looks to be a good self-defense weapon, holding 15 rounds plus one in the chamber. - I just loaded 14 in the magazine so it won't be crowded up.

I'll have to remember to get up close, or shoot low.

It's not too ugly, the action is smooth and it feels good. I like the trigger a bit more than the old Smiths, it has a more solid feel and is not overly hard to pull. - Seems like a nice gun for the money.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 am

Charles,
That is an interesting gun. I am glad that it works w/o any issues except for the trend to shoot low (would reducing the height of the front sight help?). My first impression is that the grip angle (to the barrel axis) seems too .. vertical. Good luck with your paper testing. Please keep us posted on the results.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:06 pm

The way I read it, it's shooting high, he had to hold low to hit the target. That reminds me of a mod that was done to the BHP that turned it into DA. Shooting high is a hard one to adj without changing sights. Unless the barrel lockup is strange, not enough engagement on the lugs.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm hoping to get out and punch a few holes in paper tomorrow. - Today I had a bunch of stuff to do around the place, getting ready for the semi-annual lawn-mow.

I'm in the desert, so there's not much growth in the yard until late summer. Summer is the rainy season here, so now the yard has gotten high enough to justify taking the mower out of mothballs.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Blue..
After re-reading Charles' post.. and doing the appropriate Homer Simpson dope-slap (Doh!).. I
see that you are correct.

More likely a new front sight is indicated.. as in taller... not shorter.

I can always count on you guys keeping me on the path.
Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones