Is PMC Bronze the Problem

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mountain Man

Is PMC Bronze the Problem

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 pm

I am asking if the use of PMC Bronze .45 230gr. FMJ ammo may have damaged the barrel of my Sig P220 .45 Match. I have had trouble lately getting the copper fouling out. This time, I really went after it, finally using some Outer's foaming copper remover. It turns blue as the copper is being removed. When I finally got it clean, I can now see what appears to be scratches/scoring along the sides of the grooves. Some internet research reveals that bronze is harder than brass and contains more copper and less tin.

Anyone else had this problem?
66 years of shooting - and still asking!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm

It should not be a problem, the barrel should be harder. What your seeing may be just tool marks from the machining of the barrel. I have a 299 9mm that has some rough spots that causes copper fouling every time I shoot it. Some say to shoot and let the copper smooth out the bore. You can try using JB Bore Bright (lapping compound) to clean up the rough edges. I did this to my 229 which make it easier to clean but I still get some copper smears. Does not hurt the accuracy any.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911