Given up on the LC380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Given up on the LC380

Post by Bud33 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:45 pm

I have given up on the LC380. It has a tendency to fail to load the next to last round . This is not every magazine full but about every 50 rounds or so I will get at least one FTL!
I have gone thru 3 magazines. Changed Magazine springs, changed recoil springs and nothing seems to make a difference.
I am not the only one that has had had this problem and I actually had a Ruger teck tell me that every 50 rounds seems OK to him.
Not for a Self Defense weapon in my mind!
I have also tried various brands of ammunition and nothing seems to make a difference. It would appear to be heat related since It usually takes about 50 rounds before I get a failure but it is almost always the next to last round that fails to load. It either ends up as a stove pipe or jammed against the barrel tang.
I tend to believe that it has to do with the magazine design (or lack of)
They have just used an LC9 magazine and added a spacer to the back of it to fit the 380 round.
TO BAD!!! I liked the feel of the gun and it carried nicely and was accurate but not reliable!
I replaced it with a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm and think I am in love :lol:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:32 am

Interesting observations. Does the pistol load fine cold? Is this condition only after it has heated up from use?

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:34 am

It would appear that that is the case. It will usually get thru about 40 or 50 rounds before it acts up.
The fact that it is almost always the next to last round seems to have some significance, but I can't figure on anything but magazine!
Bud

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:10 pm

What are you using for lube on this gun? Oil? Grease?

Wondering if the lube is getting gummy slowing the slide down.

Not likely you going to shoot over 2 mag if forced to use in a CC situation. But in any case it should be trouble free.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:59 pm

I have used a Teflon based lube for 50 years and never had a problem.
only use a very small amount. A dab on the fingertip and then spread.
Bud

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 pm

A SD gun that you can't trust is not good. A revolver, like a LCR 38+, is very reliable.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Bud33 wrote:I have used a Teflon based lube for 50 years and never had a problem.
only use a very small amount. A dab on the fingertip and then spread.
Teflon based lubes have solids in them so the film thickness is thicker than some oils. Some evaporate the light ends off leaving only the teflon. I would just for kicks try some regular oil and see what happens. I use syn oil for it has a lower flow temp and resist heat better than the std petroleum based.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:49 am

I'm late to this, but did you ever pass this by Ruger?

I never thought much about a small, carry SD pistol failing at 50 rounds. I don't carry that many mags or that much ammo. Maybe I'll have to put 50 or so through my LC9 and see how it performs.

S&W Shields have gotten really good reviews from folks I know that bought them. Except for one, who bought two, loaded them, put them in the night stand drawers and never fired them. I guess he thinks they make pretty good paper weights.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:18 pm

I talked to Ruger a number of times and the only response I got was that a one in 50 reliability wasn't bad. I would agree if I was just shooting for fun but failure is not an option when your life is at stake!
My son has a LC9 and has not had a problem.
Once again I believe it has to do to the design (or lack of) of the magazines.
Bud

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Given up on the LC380

Post by Bud33 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:45 am

It's ben a LOOOOOOONG time since my last post, but believe it or not, I spent that time trying to fix the problem.
I sent it back to Ruger again. They returned it with a note that they had done required mods and fired 26 rounds without a failure.
I got to 40 before the first one, but then it became every 4th or 5th round.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! I traded it in on a S&W M&P Bodyguard.
About 200 rounds so far, of various types of ammo and only one lite strike which I blame on the ammo! The good news is that with the BG, ya just pull the trigger again! :banana:
Bud

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 am

My problems with the LC9 took two trips to Ruger. The first time they fired about 25 rounds and said fixed. The second time they fired two boxes and sent me the end tabs of the ammo boxes. My problem was brass shavings getting into the firing pin channel and blocking it.

Your solution is more elegant, get one that doesn't fail and you have confidence in.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Both of those models have had their problems. I don't know if it was a rush to production or attempting to push out a million or two a year but the bottom line is quality has suffered. I didn't jump over to any of these for my personal collection and just maintained what worked reliably for me even though my alternatives were a slight bit larger frame-wise.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Both of those models have had their problems. I don't know if it was a rush to production or attempting to push out a million or two a year but the bottom line is quality has suffered. I didn't jump over to any of these for my personal collection and just maintained what worked reliably for me even though my alternatives were a slight bit larger frame-wise.

R,
Bullseye