Holster recommendations?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Holster recommendations?

Post by cousin jack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:28 am

Recent "over-development in my home town and the attendant "human conflict" issues rising from it have reinforced my desire to be self-defense capable at all times. I own a Colt Combat Commander .45, a Smith and Wesson Model 15, and a Kel Tec 9 pocket pistol; I carry the Colt most of the time, I will carry the Smith in places where I don't want to damage or lose my cherished Commander (such as hiking and snowshoeing) and at home at night, and I carry the Kel Tec when I absolutely have to ... primarily in places where you can't carry, and when training on my road bicycle (fits nicely in a jersey pocket)......

I would like some suggestions on "self-defense" holsters for the Colt and the Smith. I've got the Kel Tec stuffed in a little camera case now, and that seems to work, but again... I'm open to suggestions. I don't do inner waist band holsters, they irritate the hell out of me.....
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:20 pm

I carry a full size 1911 here around the farm, open carry. If your required to conceal it maybe it's the time of year to be wearing a coat. I know they make pocket holster for the small revolvers.

As far as IWB holsters go it's about about the fit and cant to make it comfortable. I know when I started making them I went through about 4 different designs before I found what was comfortable and concealed good. I'm small frame, 5'10 145lbs and carry my Kimber UCII every time I leave the house. My close friends know I'm carrying but the avg person has no clue. I made a holster for a neighbor who was good with the local sheriff. The sheriff commented that he can spot a conceal carry with no problem. He asked him if he was carrying and he said no. My friend lifted is shirt and showed him the setup, he was very surprised.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:12 am

I think the best holster style for open or "semi-concealed" (under a jacket) would be cross-draw. Works equally well standing or sitting, like driving a vehicle. The Colt and S&W you mention are a bit large for concealed.

My concealed choice is a LCR snubbie, in a Galco IWB or Nemesis pocket holster.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)