CT Laser Practice

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

CT Laser Practice

Post by greener » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:05 pm

For the first time in over 2 years I had my M&P9 with the CT laser at the range when it was dark enough to see the laser.

We shot about 1.5" right at 15 yards shooting fairly rapidly. Darned thing wanted to bounce around a lot, but the rounds stayed in the right half of a 5.5" Caldwell marking target. I decided that the laser was boresighted enough for across a dark room much less than 75 feet.

I haven't paid much attention to laser addons for handguns for over 2 years and don't know if they are as popular as they were when I got this one 4-5 years ago. If you can practice with them, I think they are useful. The range I use is outdoors so you have to bring the CT gun out on a day with the proper cloud level. Practice for me is limited. The CT is pretty good. The batteries seem to last quite a while without being used. The light marks the target on dim days and the boresight seems to hold.

I figure that if you think you are going to use a SD handgun, you ought to practice with it. Likewise, if you add something like a laser, you ought to practice with it. In my situation, the weather and my shooting times don't coincide often enough to practice with the laser. For me it was a waste of money, even though it works well. In today's light, I would have done as well or better without the laser.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: CT Laser Practice

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 am

I have the CT grips on my carry gun. Learning to shoot with it the first time was a learning curve, since you don't use your regular sights. The bouncing dot just indicates how much your moving, which can be a detraction. The only time that matters is when the round is fired. The lasers can be good for point shooting practice. I use a laser snap cap for that. So you can practice any time you want indoors. I have found if a gun fits you there is very little practice since the gun will naturally aim where you point. But with some guns the grip angle will throw you off.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:02 pm

I find it good practice for point shooting. With a good trigger pull you can keep them all in the center of mass with little effort. I also find it good for setting the length of my recovery time for double taps.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm

I've always thought that an old S&W model 10 with CT grips would make a good night-stand gun.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:35 pm

I was just glad to get the light that allowed me to practice.