1911a1 question

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

1911a1 question

Post by Yleefox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:54 am

The CMP has a match where the pistol used is the as issued to our military forces the 1911. They allow commercial copies of this firearm as well as the originals. I'm thinking about a Springfield GI or the Springfield Mil-Spec. I'd prefer the Mil-Spec because of the lowered ejection port and the sights appear to be a bit larger than those on the GI model. My question is, does anyone know if the Mil-Spec would be allowed in this class?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: 1911a1 question

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:54 pm

The GI is not showing up in the current Springfield Armory catalog I only see the "Mil Spec" listed. Unless you have access to a good used GI version, your only option is the newer Mil Spec. According to the CMP Games rules the pistol qualifies for "as issued" based on the overall description with possibly one exception; it says a Match Grade barrel included. You may want to write to the CMP and get a ruling by them on it. I see no reason why it doesn't qualify as long as you don't attempt any other modifications to tighten up the works but it is their call.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks Bullseye for the reply. Do you think the difference in ejection port is significant enough to seek out the Mil-Spec version as opposed to the GI version's smaller port?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:26 pm

I have both styles of 1911's, ones with the lowered and those with the narrower GI ejection ports in my personal collection. I have not experienced any differences in ejection operation between the two. The Mil-Spec with the slightly lowered port will qualify as an "as issued" pistol under the rules clause of "commercially equivalent" as long as the match barrel doesn't disqualify it. Again I don't think that the CMP will balk at the pistol as long as the barrel isn't specially fitted with a match bushing to the slide. All a match barrel designation means is it is cut to a tighter tolerance internally and has a tighter chamber. The external dimensions are the same as a standard GI barrel. However some regional competition venues may say that it is not within the rules, which is why I suggest that you get a ruling from the horse's mouth at the CMP, that way you can quote the source if the issue ever arises at check-in for a match.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks again for the quick reply Bullseye. I will see if I can get an answer straight from the cap.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:01 pm

I did get a reply to my question concerning the SA mil-spec model. Mark Johnson COO of the CMP said that it is in fact legal for us in the As issued 1911 matches. Just in case anyone else is interested.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 pm

It is good that you received an "official" ruling from the CMP. I thought as much, but some local matches can take their rules interpretations a bit too far sometimes.

R,
Bullseye