S&W Cylinder Release

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

S&W Cylinder Release

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:33 am

I have a S&W model 15 here, similar to a model 10 but with adjustable sights.

The thumbpiece, or cylinder release appears to function normally, but I have noticed that when the cylinder is open, the thumbpiece moves freely back and forth, apparently with no spring tension.

Only when the cylinder is closed, in battery does the thumbpiece exhibit the expected spring tension.

I have looked at exploded parts drawings, trying to identify anything besides the center pin spring which is supposed to push the thumbpiece back. The center pin spring only pushes on the thumbpiece of course when the cylinder is closed.

It's been a while since I have handled a S&W revolver... Is the thumbpiece supposed to travel freely forward and back with no spring tension when the cylinder is open?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: S&W Cylinder Release

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:44 am

My daily carry, S&W 442.
When you push it forward to release the cylinder you can feel pressure from a spring. With the cylinder swung out it will not move forward, but you can feel a spring pressure when you pull it back, and when released it will move forward.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:51 pm

There's a little spring and plunger on the back of the bolt... I think that's where the problem lies. I guess I'll take it apart tonight and see about the spring, if its there.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:04 pm

I made an interesting find. - There was a spring there in the bolt, behind the plunger, but the spring appeared to be collapsed and also way too short.

When I examined the spring with a magnifier, I discovered that it was two spring sections that had wound into each other. Apparently it broke many years ago, and over a period of time, the two broken pieces of spring wound together.

Also, the plunger does not look like the plunger in the exploded parts diagram. A little "tit" that is supposed to go inside the end of the spring looks to be missing.

Since both parts are inexpensive, I guess I'll order replacements for both of them. Disassembling the revolver to get at the broken parts reminded me of how much I used to enjoy doing revolver work, many years ago. In my first years as a gunsmith, it was hard to find anybody to do revolver work in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so this is where I concentrated my studies. As a result, I got lots of work including one security company that would periodically bring me a shoe-box full of .38 Special snubbies to examine, clean and repair if necessary.

At that time I had a few special tools for revolver work, but I gave them to another smith some years ago. It's tempting to get started on revolver work again, but I have to wonder how much work I am going to find in this desert location. Almost everybody has gone over to automatics, it seems like. Certainly the law enforcement folks have.