What new firearm/s have you bought lately?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

What new firearm/s have you bought lately?

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm

I have to new guns this year, both revolvers, but that's pretty much where their similarity ends. The first one it was a Smith & Wesson Model 629 44 Magnum revolver which resides on the larger end of the spectrum in terms of size and Power, and I also purchased a North American Arms 22 magnum / 22 long rifle mini revolver which definitely resides on small and of the revolver Spectrum.
Model 629 = 2 lb, 13 oz
NAA mini = 6.7 oz
here's a link to them both:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629-0
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-swc/

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: What new firearm/s have you bought lately?

Post by charlesb » Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 am

Today I ordered two new handguns, a Bersa Thunder two-tone in .380 ACP for my wife, and a 6" SS Ruger GP-100 in .357/38 for myself.

I wanted to get a Beretta Tomcat for my sweetheart, but they were unobtainium, so I went for the Bersa instead. She is wanting to take the CC class and drag it around in her purse. (She always carries a fairly large purse.)

The Ruger GP-100 I intend to shoot at targets with .38 wadcutters, but you never know, maybe my son will be interested in shooting .357 loads from it. Since my illness, I have been too infirm for just about anything that kicks. I have sold or given away all of my rifles except for a nice bolt-action 22.

I'll have a lot of fun tweaking the GP-100, and I have a large supply of cast HBWC bullets to load for it. I briefly considered a S&W Victory, but then thought better of it. The .38Spl wadcutters are more fun to shoot, and I had no revolvers at all.

I'm still wanting a Cimarron model "P" SAA clone, with a 7.5" barrel in 32-20 but I'm tapped out for now, it will have to wait.

I have owned several S&W 629's over the years, and that is still my favorite Smith. Great firearm!

:2ar15:

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 am

Didn't buy it, but Ruger traded me a SP101 .357 for my broken .22 LCR. Even trade entirely on their dime. Not a bad deal, since the SP is $200 more gun. To even it out, that enabled me to sell my .357 LCR, for $350. Now instead of a .22 practice / .357 carry pair of LCRs, it's a pair of SP101s. My history with LCRs is that I've had three bad ones go back, and told Ruger I just didn't trust another one.

Now I've asked them why my new SP looks like this; below the crane release. I've yet to see another one made this way. You can see the newer tapered cylinder here, too.

EDIT: I just got their answer, it's a late 2016 change, so they'll all look like this after the warehouses ship the older ones.

* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon May 08, 2017 7:29 pm

I really like the 6" Ruger GP-100... I have owned several S&W 686's in 6" over the years, including one with a special front sight with elevation adjustments. The GP-100 is more robust, heavier, but seems to have just as good a trigger. Not as elegant as the Smith, but still kind of purdy.