Is the Smith 41 worth the price

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Is the Smith 41 worth the price

Post by Yleefox » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Just like the title asks, is the S&W model 41 .22 worth the price, if the intent is to use it for competition or is the Ruger Mk II target model good enough?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Is the Smith 41 worth the price

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 06, 2018 1:02 pm

The Model 41 is a very good competition pistol. If you are serious about competing then eventually you will move in the direction of obtaining one of these models. If you're just beginning in competition then the Ruger is a good starter pistol. While the 41 is very diet sensitive, the trigger consistency is far better than what is possible with a Ruger.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Bullseye. Could you expand on what you mean by it's "diet sensitive?" The reason I'm considering the 41 is because of it's grip angle (similar to the 1911). The other alternative I'm considering is the Nelson .22 conversion, because I've heard it's a good choice for Bullseye matches too. What do you think about the Nelson?

Thanks again

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Pete D. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 am

The comment about diet sensitivity is right on, as is the comment about the trigger. Not all .22 SV ammo will give optimal, reliable results in any .22 pistol; this is especially true in thoroughbred pistols like the Smith 41. Buy and test a lot of brands.
For myself, I have settled on your other option and have a Nelson conversion for my 1911. I will be taking that to Camp Perry next month.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Yleefox wrote:Thanks for the reply Bullseye. Could you expand on what you mean by it's "diet sensitive?" The reason I'm considering the 41 is because of it's grip angle (similar to the 1911). The other alternative I'm considering is the Nelson .22 conversion, because I've heard it's a good choice for Bullseye matches too. What do you think about the Nelson?

Thanks again
I'm not Bullseye, but, I do shoot bullseye (now Precision Pistol!,lol)
Anyway, the 41 seems to like a specific brand of bullet.
you just need to find out.

As far as the Nelson, it's a very competitive option if mounted on an a correct 1911 lower.
The 2017 National Champion shot a Nelson.

Remember, the .22 gets 2 lbs trigger. so, if you have a non-45 1911 (9mm, .38 super, Clark .38 spl.) you can mount the Nelson (or Advantage Arms) and get by with 2.5 lbs!
food for thought.

Jim Chapman
Perry bound.