New pistol question

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

New pistol question

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:48 am

I just got a KBI PA-63 (Makarov clone) today, yes I know it's cheap :oops: I wanted something to tied me over til' my RRA comes in, plus I figured I'm getting one of the best may as well get one of the worst :P

So heres the question. The box and the slide say it's chambered in 9x18 Makarov but, when I looked at the manual it said it is a .380 ACP. I decided to go with what the slide said, 9x18 Makarov which worked fine in it. So are these two cartridges interchangeable? Knowing the standard the pistol is held to I'm leaning that it was typed up wrong but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:13 am

No, these are not interchangeable cartridges. The 9x18Mak is a different round than .380ACP. The diameter of the bullets are different. The .380ACP has a dia of .355-.356" and the 9x18Mak has a dia of .363-.364".

Also, the OAL of the two cartridges are different too. The 9x18Mak case is 18mm long and the .380ACP is 17mm long.

You should ensure the true size of your barrel and chamber by checking the inside bore diameter of the barrel. If it is .355" then it's a .380, if it's .364" then it's a 9x18Mak.

The slide stamping maybe correct and the manual is incorrect but some pistols were converted to .380. The manual says they are chambered for 9mm x 18 Makarov and 9mm Kurz (.380) but that is the offering of the pistol in two different chambers not that they are interchangeable. You can check the model number here http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=211 to see which cartridge you pistol is chambered.

You can find more info about your Mak at this website.
http://www.makarov.com/

Here's a detailed stripping guide.
http://www.makarov.com/tech.html

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks for the cartridge info.

From what I understand I don't have a true Makarov. The PA-63 is a clone, and works a bit different according to Makarov.com. So the site you linked doesn't cover my serial number. So with that being said, do you recommend I get a caliper and measure the bore diameter? Or is there some other tool for this that I don't know about :oops:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 am

A caliper will work fine for measuring the inner bore diameter.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 am

Thanks for the info, Bullseye. It turned out to be a 9x18Mak.

I also found out that the PA-63 is actually a Walther PPK clone, not a Makarov clone (which I guess is a PPK knock off also, but the PA-63 seems to be a more direct clone). Just an FYI if anyone here ever gets one.