S&W Model 19 headspace problem?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Retired in 2001

S&W Model 19 headspace problem?

Post by Retired in 2001 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 pm

My S&W Model 19 4 inch bought in the early 70s.Is really hard to open when firing or just cleaning.I depress the latch and push with my fingers to try to swing the cylinder out,in two of the spots.It hard to open.I have cleaned it really well and still have problems.My question is how is this problem corrected.Is it simple or not.Hate to have this gun as a safe queen.Thanking everyone ahead of time :D

madcratebuilder

Post by madcratebuilder » Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 am

I would contact S&W. I'm sure you can send it back for repair, more than likely, free repair.

Retired in 2001

Post by Retired in 2001 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

That was my first move S&W told me.Because the revolver was made in the 70s they would have to charge me. :roll:

gunsmither

Loose ejector rod?

Post by gunsmither » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm very late to the party here, but it sounds like a typical case of a loose ejector rod binding up the cylinder. This is a very common problem with Smith revolvers that is easily remedied in most cases.

Your gun has left hand threads on the ej. rod. If you don't have the correct tool to tighten it, you can wrap a piece of leather around the ej. rod, and tighten it in a vise. Place 3 empty shell casings in the cylinder, one in every other chamber, to protect the ratchet pins, and turn left to tighten. Just "snug" it. Don't overdue it.

You also may have unburned powder underneath the ratchet, which can cause the same thing to happen.

Hope this helps! Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Joe for offering help. I don't know if the OP has seen your response but I'm sure he will appreciate your suggestion.

R,
Bullseye

Retired in 2001

Post by Retired in 2001 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Hears the late es.Called Smith and Wesson for a new center pin they dont have any.E-Gun parts have send me two that have not worked out.They are too short(shoulders)dont come out to hold the cylinder latched.So its now at a Smith house hopefully being repaired.Hate the thought of it being a safe queen.Will keep everyone posted.

Retired in 2001

Post by Retired in 2001 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Retired in 2001 wrote:Hears the late es.Called Smith and Wesson for a new center pin they dont have any.E-Gun parts have send me two that have not worked out.They are too short(shoulders)dont come out to hold the cylinder latched.So its now at a Smith house hopefully being repaired.Hate the thought of it being a safe queen.Will keep everyone posted.
Good news just got it back from the gunsmith.He said that the center pin and ejector rod were bent.And I am good to go.Safe Queen no more and I am happy happy.Thanks to all :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 pm

That would explain everything. Sounds like you're good to go!

R,
Bullseye